Strange screen problem with Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Amber, Mar 29, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

Mar 23, 2006
    I just bought another Ti Powerbook. It has a strange screen problem I've never seen before. The screen is bright but it lacks clarity. The fonts look very bitty. Also like when you look at a negative of a picture and it looks too bright! Another way to describe it is it's like I've taken a screen shot and in Photoshop I need to zoom in or out to get it to 100% to see it clear.

I've tried changing the brightness. It's like I need to change the contrast. I've plugged the laptop into my PC LCD screen and it looks fine.

Something else that's strange, when I play I DVD the screen (just the widescreen bit) goes dark green. I can see the controls at the bottom and they look normal. It's just the widescreen area of the DVD. Again I can watch the DVD on my LCD plugged in.

Any ideas?
  2. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 23, 2006
    I bought it second hand. It's a 15 inch Titanium Powerbook. I just thought it might be something really simple.
  3. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    There are Contrast settings in the Universal Access pane of System Preferences although I doubt they're related since the picture is fine on the external. :)
  4. macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    Houston, Tx
    under system prefrences, choose displays, and check the resolution setting. Is it the highest it can go? My Tibook resolution is 1280 x 854.
    Doesnt explain the green color tho.

You might have a video board problem... the video processor is built into the motherboard so in order to fix it you would have to switch out the logic boards. A fun Project if i say so myself. hehe
  5. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 23, 2006
    If it was a Video board problem (which means a logic board change) would it still work perfect to an external screen?