strange screen when waking from sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by lemmon, Apr 7, 2003.

1. lemmon macrumors newbie

i just woke up my dual 867 from sleeping for a couple of hours and i got a screen i have never ever ever seen on a mac.

it was black, with a little box in the middle that had a picture of the power button and said "you need to restart your computer, etc. etc. (how to restart it)" and it had it in a couple of different languages.

what the hell is going on??
    i've never seen this, does anyone know why it happened and i how i can keep it from happening again?

2. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

This is the new version of the kernel pannic. Restarting should fix the problem. If it happens repeatedly, then yes, you have a problem of some sort. Try repairing permissions using Disk Utility in the Utilities folder. Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility.

Regards,
    Gus

3. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

It's a LOT better than the old kernel pannic.

Less chance of makeing someone crap their pants when seeing it.

4. The Shadow macrumors regular

How to restart it?

Sorry if this wasn't a question and you might feel patronised...;)

There's a restart button on the front of the PowerMac (ie In addition to the Start button).

At least there is on my older G4 anyway.

Cheers.

5. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

not on the post-QS models there aint. you have to hold the power button for 5-8 seconds for it to turn off. Then you press it again to to turn it on.

i agree that the reset button should not be on the front - confuses users. I do not agree with there being no reset button at all on a machine.

oh well. who am i to comment. i am just a mac owner and user ...

6. The Shadow macrumors regular

Interesting. That s*cks. I like the reset button.

I've had what I presume to be a video card problem for about 2 years, causing me to sometimes have to restart after start up to get a picture. I'd be pissed if I didn't have the reset button. As it is, it doesn't bother me.

Cheers.