Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
my powerbook makes a strange sound every now and then, from the side the super drive is... but not when i have a disk inside.
i don't know if it's the drive itself or something higher up under the keyboard...
is that where the hard drive is?
i've verified permissions and the drive and everything seems ok...
anyone got any ideas?

should i be worried? (i do have time machine running so i guess i won't lose any data if something does happen, but still it's pretty odd for this to happen...)

steeler

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
The hard drive is on the opposite side of the Powerbook, just to the left of the trackpad. You can see pictures of the inside if you look at the hard drive replacement guide at ifixit.com.

I'm not sure what is making that sound.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
well, i'm guessing it's the hard drive since it's one of the few things with moving parts in the powerbook, right?
could it be the fans?
after closer inspection, meaning sticking my ear on the powerbook and moving around, :), it sounds like it's coming from somewhere under the keyboard...
i checked out a pdf manual and it looks like that's the only thing that could make this noise near the keyboard, the fans...
does that mean they're broke or what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.