Strange sounds on my Powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rogik, Sep 11, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 11, 2004
    Recently I noticed that there is a constant sound from my Powerbook 15' 1.33, it sounds like it is HD working, but when I give my PB some workload, I can hear actual HD sound which is a bit louder than that sound.
    What is strange about this sound - it is not the same all the time... It reminds the work of HD, though it must not be HD. What I'm afraid about is either failure or incorrect work of the cooler or HD. In both cases it may fail. I've tried to listen to other laptops (IBM & Toshiba), their coolers of HDs do not have such sounds. Does anyone else have a non constant very low volume sound background on his PB?
  2. macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Mine only makes those sounds when i'm downloading stuff. The second sound your hearing might be the fan. Because it is a much deeper sound then the hard drive.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 11, 2004
    Any idea if it is dangerous or how can i get rid of it?
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 11, 2004
    I've been to the apple store today... They do not know what is that either... Said that it will take about a month for my PB to get repaired/replaced... :( Maybe this sound is not dangerous?
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    mine sounds like purring. i first heard it when compressing a dvd folder to mpeg. i thought it was normal and due to fans spinning faster.
  6. macrumors member

Oct 21, 2003
    Do you have your processor speed set to highest? I have the same machine, and if I set it to highest, it makes strange beeping sounds. There's a bunch of other people with the same problem on the Apple discussion boards as well.