Strange space usage on powerbook HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RickRandom, Oct 31, 2006.

1. RickRandom macrumors newbie

Having problems with my hd running out of space. Nothing unusual but this time I don't know why.. Even when i have no photoshop etc running to use space for temp. I tried closing all apps and got 43,7mb free. The PowerBook HD shortcut on desktop shows 876mb at all times (i think that's about right). Recycle bin is empty and downloads go to an external drive. Now i'm down to 0kb and iTunes says it can save library and all that. After boot it shows at least 200mb and goes down from there.. Any ideas? With no programs running what's eating my space? is there a way to monitor space usage of apps like photoshop?

cheers :|

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Get a new hard drive. :)

How much RAM do you have? It's common to lose HDD space to swap files and such.

3. RickRandom thread starter macrumors newbie

you think this one's done? I have 512 since the other memory slot stopped working some time ago. But that can't be it, can it? i've only had this problem for couple of days.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'm thoroughly confused...are we talking about RAM or hard drive space here? :confused:

5. RickRandom thread starter macrumors newbie

Hard drive space. with a twist of not enough RAM causing this? Well I'll make back ups just in case :/

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

So you're saying that after a reboot you have 200 MB of hard drive space free? That's not nearly enough...most people recommend that you always have several GB of free space or you'll start running into problems.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah... You'd best free up at least 2GB of space somehow, although even a GB would make a world of difference. The HD is used for virtual memory, which is an intrinsic part of OS X, and when you run out of free disk space, OS X - or almost any OS - gets quite flaky.

8. RickRandom thread starter macrumors newbie

I know :/ but that's the problem. Some times i have 1,2gb free after a boot and it goes down to 200mb - 43mb - 0kb and i don't know what's using it. There is at least 1gb free. the rest is temp usage for something..

9. RickRandom thread starter macrumors newbie

ok. I'll try to free more space if that's it. Or of course that's it. i wouldn't notice it if i had 30gb's free :rolleyes: I was just worried that my hd was going down.. seen it on pc when free space readings are acting strange.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can try using a utility like WhatSize or OmniDiskSweeper to see if you can identify large log files that are being generated for some reason and deleted on reboot.

Other than that, I think more free space is key. How big is the drive?

11. RickRandom thread starter macrumors newbie

the drive shows as 55,88GB. I'll try those, thanks!

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

How much RAM do you have? I have 1 gb and it needs 2gb of HDD to run, the swap file takes up 2 gb of space as the machine stays on for longer. Not an issue, I still have 10 gb left after that...