Strange Sys Requirements for Unreal 2003!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ComputerWizard, Nov 6, 2003.

1. ComputerWizard macrumors member

This is really weird, but I just recently purchased Unreal Tournament 2003 and on the box it says:

System Requirements:
    Macintosh OSX v10.2.6 or higher, 700Mhz G4 processor or faster (except 12" powerbook manufactured in 2003) , 256MB RAM, 3GB hard disk space, 32MB ATI Radeon or Nvidia GeForce 2 or faster. Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported. 33.6 Kbps or faster modem and and internet connection are required for on-line play.

Except for the fact that they accidentally wrote and twice(no that was not a mistake on my part), what does it mean by except 12" powerbook manufactured in 2003? Why wouldn't it work on that computer? Or did it mean that you need a G4 processor or faster for all of the other apple models except the 2003 powerbook?

I don't have a 12" powerbook anyway (mine's a 15" Al Powerbook) but I was just thought that that seemed strange.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I know people who have run the demo on one of those machines and it runs okay, but I think you'll find that the graphics hardware/CPU combination might be too weak overall to run it smoothly in the tougher maps.

3. Robertk2012 macrumors regular

4. ComputerWizard thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for responding. But why would it say that it runs fine on a 700mhz processor but not on a powerbook which is faster than 700Mhz?

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think it's a matter of cache memory. The PowerMacs and PowerBooks had L3 cache, but the 867 MHz 12 inch PowerBook did not. That 1 megabyte was probably enough to make up for the otherwise slow architecture.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The UT 2k3 demo runs fine n dandy on my L3 cache-less aluminum 15" PB. But it has other aspects to make up for that :D

7. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

is that manufactured In 2003 or Before 2003?

mine should be here any second now :(

cheers

8. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

That refers to the 867, not the 1ghz. the 867 has only half the l2 cache and no l3. I've played it on the powerbook and its all right, but far from great. The quicksilver powermac 733 was L3 less to, and most of those have crappy geforce2 cards, wonder why they weren't listed as unsupported.