Strange Virtual PC crash

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mad jew, Aug 22, 2005.

1. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I was just running a software update on XP in VPC 6.1.1 (or whatever the latest is) in Tiger and the thing crashed on me. I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen a screen like this before and whether I should be worried. I've done a search but haven't come up with anything.

Opinions gladly accepted. :)

Oh, and sorry about the photo quality. I don't have a good camera lying around.

Attached Files:

2. unfaded macrumors 6502

That's an old-style Kernel Panic. What version of OS X are you running?

3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Looks like a kernel panic in OS X. It's weird though because kernel panics haven't looked like that since 10.1 - starting with Jaguar a dialog is supposed to come up that says "you need to restart your computer." I guess this one escaped. If it doesn't happen again, you can probably just chalk it up to a random cosmic ray.

4. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it's the latest version of Tiger which is why this is a bit baffling. I wasn't ever a heavy OSX user pre-Panther but I had an inkling this was just an old-school kernel panic. Weird, huh. :confused:

Thanks for the replies. :)

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have never gotten one, but I think it all depends on exactly what happens. I thought I've heard of other people getting this kind of KP screen in Tiger. And I sometimes get no KP screen at all -- just a frozen system, but I get a panic.log entry, so I know there was a KP.... Strangeness.

Were you doing anything in particular in VPC when it KP'd or just the usual?

6. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I was just running the Windows Update thing through Internet Explorer and of course I had Mail on in the background but I doubt that could cause much of a problem. I was literally not doing anything else with the iBook.

Strange. :confused:

7. MacTurtle macrumors member

I thought that tiger wasn't supported with vpc until the new version 7.0 that just came out recently. You might need to get the full point upgrade of vpc in order to have things settle down stable in tiger.

I haven't installed vpc yet, I don't have a machine fast enough to even START thinking about trying to run it. Maybe once I get an ibook, but not on my b&w. So I'm just going on what I've read on support forums and pages.

Good luck.

8. mad jew thread starter Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You're right, VPC 6 isn't Tiger-compatible but it's been working for the past few months pretty much trouble free. Even so, I wonder why it displayed the old kernel panic screen as opposed to the new one?

9. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

That style of kernel panic is for systems 10.0 to 10.2.8.

Panther and Tiger are no supposed to display this kind of kernel panic.

BUT:

In panther, while using 10.3.8 (which was an unstable update as opposed to others) I have seen this kind of kernel panic 4 times!

So, these kinds of kernel panics do happen, even if you run Panther or Tiger.