Strange Wireless Problems (out of the blue)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by deputy_doofy, Mar 28, 2006.

1. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I'm running 10.3.9 on a PB 12" 1GHz...

Ok, up until a few days ago, I could take my PB to anyone's place with a wireless router and just be on the internet, ready to do my thing.

However, over the weekend, my PB would show me the full airport signal, and would even show me the correct router name, but it would not let me connect to any webpage in my browser. The browser simply acted like I wasn't connected at all and gave me that kind of message. When I attempted to contact the router through its IP address, it would just hang. Now, I know the router wasn't having issues as my desktop, which is also using it via airport, was working just fine. Finally, after numerous restarts, I unplugged the router for about 30 seconds and restarted the PB. Both desktop and PB worked after that.

Now, when I go to friends' houses, the nonsense starts over. They surf fine on their wireless, but I get the error messages. Again, my PB has a full signal, even has the correct router name, but nothing. I don't want to keep making other people unplug their routers because my computer has turned retarded over the weekend.

Just wanted to stress that my PB, up until this weekend, had no problems connecting wherever it went. This has been since this past Sunday.

Lastly, the only thing I can think of that I did before the problem began was used my PB in target disk mode.

Any ideas/suggestions/fixes?

Thanks.

2. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

You didn't happen to accidentally change any of your network settings, did you? My girlfriend's PowerBook experienced similar problems, which might be related.

In her dorm room, she connects to the internet via PPPoE. In her network settings, she has her computer set to connect automatically every time there's an internet request. For some reason, having your laptop set to connect automatically can royally rape the Airport so that it won't load any internet sites. Before I figured out what the problem was, I noticed that it would connect to wireless networks at full strength yet still not be able to get on the internet.

Hope that helps!