Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a recent interview with Mashable, an artist based in the United Kingdom, Kyle Lambert, divulged his process of creating the memorable poster art for Netflix's science fiction series Stranger Things. Netflix asked the artist to keep with the 80's theme of the show, and provided him with a vague plot outline, rough cuts of only the first few episodes, and some still shots "to communicate the story in a single image."

Ultimately, Lambert said he decided on the iPad Pro for the project because the tablet lets him "sketch in a very natural way," especially when used in conjunction with the Apple Pencil. He used the Apple device in the sketching process of the main poster art that has gained fame online in the weeks since Stranger Things launched in July, but Lambert has also been known to create impressive art on iPads over the years, particularly in a photorealistic representation of Morgan Freeman he created on an iPad Air in 2013.

Stranger-Things-ipad-pro-1.jpg
"This was a very exciting project for me, as an artist that trained with oil paints, I really enjoyed the challenge of reproducing this traditional painting style using digital tools," Lambert told Mashable.

"I used the iPad Pro to do the preliminary composition ideas and the sketch that became the final Stranger Things poster. I chose to use the iPad Pro for the drawing stage of the poster because I find that I am able to sketch in a very natural way on the device using the Apple Pencil. The device in general is nice to hold for long periods of time, it is really portable and Procreate, the app that I used, has some really great Pencil brushes for drawing with."
Specifically, on the iPad Pro Lambert used the iOS app Procreate to assist in his drawing process, and then he transitioned to Photoshop on the Mac to upscale the image to a higher resolution so he could "paint small elements at the best possible resolution." During the coloring process, the artist used an Intuos Wacom tablet -- which connects to a Mac to act as a sketch pad -- so he could "focus on as much of the image" as he needed, without his hand obscuring a piece of the artwork like it does when using the iPad Pro/Apple Pencil combo.

Stranger-Things-ipad-pro-3.jpg
The original sketch that eventually became the final Stranger Things poster

The process wasn't particularly straightforward, however, as Lambert describes moving back to the iPad Pro to "add layers of detail to areas" that he thought needed "a more fluid sketch style" that the desktop didn't grant. He went back and forth between the two devices and applications several times to ultimately give the Stranger Things poster its finished, recognizable look. Lambert was also commissioned to work on several character portraits to serve as gifts for actors, specifically those of Sheriff Hopper, Eleven and Dr. Brenner, and various still shots from iconic moments in the 8-episode series.

Ever since early adopters began getting their hands on the iPad Pro and its companion stylus, the Apple Pencil, talented artists have shared what they can do with the technology in MacRumors' own discussion forums. Apple has remained adamant that the Apple Pencil is a drawing-enhancement tool, and "will absolutely not replace the finger as a point of interface" on the tablet, so it's interesting to see how much the technology has grown and been used, and on such a highly professional level, in under a year of its availability.

Article Link: 'Stranger Things' Poster Began as Sketch Created With iPad Pro and Apple Pencil

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Looks like a Star Wars poster.....
EDIT:
Somebody already had the same idea of mine :D

x0vash0x

Suspended
Dec 1, 2014
So basically the artist used both an iPad Pro and a Wacom tablet.

So, I never thought of this before, but why couldn't Apple turn the iPad Pro into a sketching pad like the Wacom Tablet? I mean, imagine taking Continuity features to a new level by allow a macOS APP to talk to its iPad APP.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
So, I never thought of this before, but why couldn't Apple turn the iPad Pro into a sketching pad like the Wacom Tablet? I mean, imagine taking Continuity features to a new level by allow a macOS APP to talk to its iPad APP.
There's an app for that!

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
You do realize that this an homage to classic movie posters right? And that the layout of The Force Awakens poster was a throwback vintage Star Wars artwork?
So Samsung is making an Homage to Apple design by your standard??

Reactions: Bubba Satori

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
It's not the creative brain that is necessary for art, it's the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil.
Nope. It's the creative brain. Kyle is a pretty exceptional digital artist. iPad Pro and Apple Pencil weren't there when he created that Morgan Freeman portrait on the iPad Air in 2013. It's always the artist. Otherwise, I could do the same thing... which I can't.

Reactions: Pilgrim1099

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
During the coloring process, the artist used an Intuos Wacom tablet -- which connects to a Mac to act as a sketch pad -- so he could "focus on as much of the image" as he needed, without his hand obscuring a piece of the artwork like it does when using the iPad Pro/Apple Pencil combo.​

The process wasn't particularly straightforward, however, as Lambert describes moving back to the iPad Pro to "add layers of detail to areas" that he thought needed "a more fluid sketch style" that the desktop didn't grant. He went back and forth between the two devices and applications several times to ultimately give the Stranger Things poster its finished, recognizable look.

So the iPP couldn't do it alone? Other devices involved: Mac & Wacom tablet. Bolsters the point that for serious work, iPP is a great companion device to a Mac or PC, not a replacement for them.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Pretty cool. Flies in the face of the all the naysayers on this forum telling me the iPad is nothing but a glorified consumption device.

I can't draw to save my life, but the iPad Pro and Pencil combo has changed my working life - all my notes/sketches/scribbles/ideas are now taken on the device and it's glorious. No more paper notepads and everything is searchable as well as available in my bag at all times.

So the iPP couldn't do it alone? Other devices involved: Mac & Wacom tablet. Bolsters the point that for serious work, iPP is a great companion device to a Mac or PC, not a replacement for them.

Couldn't is a strong word. It was better to do it on the Mac. Just like some aspects were better on the iPad Pro "as Lambert describes moving back to the iPad Pro to "add layers of detail to areas" that he thought needed "a more fluid sketch style" that the desktop didn't grant". Always smart to use the best tool for the job. Which is why I'm glad Apple haven't tried to shoehorn desktop and touch interfaces into each other. Macs for pointers and iOS for touch.

Last edited:

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
It's not the creative brain that is necessary for art, it's the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil.
What this AI? iPad Pro and Apple Pencil did not draw that. A creative brain drew that. They used iPad and the Pencil as the paper and pen, but the creative talent drew it.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Awesome poster for an awesome show! Can't wait for season 2! Btw I set this poster as my desktop image a handful of days ago, 'bout when I finished watching Stranger Things for the third time through. ;)

Reactions: BlueParadox

thats all folks

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2013
Austin (supposedly in Texas)
so, one combination of several thousands of dollars of hardware and software is one of many possible ways to mimic something originally created by hand with dozens to hundreds of dollars worth of art supplies. got it.

takeaway: the iPad Pro exists, it is a capable option for a variety of tasks, that it is capable is reflected in it's high price.

x0vash0x

Suspended
Dec 1, 2014
Couldn't is a strong word. It was better to do it on the Mac. Just like some aspects were better on the iPad Pro "as Lambert describes moving back to the iPad Pro to "add layers of detail to areas" that he thought needed "a more fluid sketch style" that the desktop didn't grant". Always smart to use the best tool for the job. Which is why I'm glad Apple haven't tried to shoehorn desktop and touch interfaces into each other. Macs for pointers and iOS for touch.

This so much. Every so often, I'm tempted to get a SurfaceBook. Then, I realize, it's just a bunch of compromises. Using it as at tablet, the battery life sucks. You have a confusing mix of input methods. It's relatively heavy. I mean, it's a great 2-in-1 but at the end of the day, I'd honestly rather have two devices. Plus, that is a huge deal break, and your point exactly: what if I want to use a tablet AND have access to a desktop.

I'm so thankful Apple has kept these two devices separate. There's a way to integrate them better into a work flow, and I think that's the future: integrations. Convergence is stupid, integration is the key. Have the iPP and Mac work together seamlessly, so work can transition from one device to the other depending on which input method is best for the task at hand.

Apple is heading this direction, as can be seen with the 'copy and paste from an iDevice to macOS'.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
I'm two episodes in and struggling. The characters and dialogue feel cliched or two dimensional or something. Which is making it hard for me to care about what's happening. Am
I missing something? I really wanted to like this show.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015

The main work, drawing was done on the iPad. You can color if you haven't drawn.

So in this case, it's the Mac that's the companion device.

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
I agree the iPad is not a replacement for a pc but a pc is also not a replacement for the iPad.

I wouldn't say that the iPad is a dedicated companion device but it can be. I would say it's a pc alternative. Both are useful but have different strengths.

At the end of the day the iPad can be a pc replacement, it can be a companion device, it can also be a different tool entirely. It really depends on how you look at it.
[doublepost=1470757961][/doublepost]
so, one combination of several thousands of dollars of hardware and software is one of many possible ways to mimic something originally created by hand with dozens to hundreds of dollars worth of art supplies. got it.

takeaway: the iPad Pro exists, it is a capable option for a variety of tasks, that it is capable is reflected in it's high price.
You can't undo on a piece of paper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.