Strategies to defeat Zune!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by princealfie, Sep 17, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Any tips on making sure that the MS mp3 player will crash and burn? :rolleyes:

2. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Don't buy one??

3. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Make some kind of virus that uses every last exploit and loophole? :confused:

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Imagine that it doesn't even exist because at some point, it'll be delayed before the release anyway.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

6. pink-pony115 macrumors regular

pink-pony115

convince all of your friends that MS SUCKS...jk just buy an iPod.

7. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

I'm thinking of starting a "missionary program" to teach people about the dangers of Zune...

Or

Employing a hacker to ruin the Zune through a secret firmware program that undermines those multicolored buster browns.

8. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

no need to employ someone.. microsoft has that base covered. when they release an update, it will exploit something or the other rendering the mp3 player useless. Let Microsfot kill it themselves, they're bound to.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Half of me hopes that happens (MS kills it themselves with their usual blunders), but half of me hopes it does somewhat well and gives Apple incentive to bring better things to market even sooner than what they've been doing.

I'm curious if Apple would have lowered its prices on the new 5.5G iPods by $50 if Zune wasn't coming around the corner?

10. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

We want the Zune to have *some* success, because it'll cause Apple to compete more. At the moment the iPod doesn't have any competition. Competition means better products and cheaper prices, so the Zune is good for iPod owners!

11. abeyk macrumors regular

abeyk

i think it will do that by itself :D

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That's for Apple to figure out. The only real negatives I've seen so far are some FUD about automatic DRM which doesn't appear to be true (we'll have to wait and see how this works in real life), that it's a little thicker to accommodate the larger LCD and radio, and Microsoft's answer to Flower Power and Dalmation Blue, the optional brown case.

I'll reserve judgement until it ships. The only true negative I'm seeing is that there may be some difficulties for users saddled with the iTunes DRM system.

13. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

defeat zune by high end virus spread by wifi.

14. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

you're giving the zune to much credit. It doesn't need a strategy to be beaten.

15. vv-tim macrumors 6502

Apple fanboys are so cute.
    I'd like to point out that the Zune is actually quite cool and there is room for two products in the marketplace. If anyone can take on Apple it's Microsoft and they need the competition.

The Zune brings a nice bigger display to the table and (in my opinion) a more attractive (other than the thickness) casing. WiFi isn't really important to me...

If I didn't have so many iTunes tracks already I'd probably look into picking up a Zune.

You're acting like Microsoft is going to squash the underdog and ruin a great product. If Microsoft does win in the mp3-player war it's going to be because of a far superior product to the titan that is the iPod, and if they win, the consumers win. I'm all for Microsoft crushing the iPod if it means I get a nicer media player.

16. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Start creating viruses with song names for titles.

If that doesn't work... start a 'Break a Zune' website to raise money, buy a Zune and destory it. Wait. Don't do that. Just buy iPod's for everyone :D

17. barnacle macrumors regular

barnacle

ya gotta agree with vv-tim,, if it's a better product,, how can we loose?
    i always side with the best product,, whoever it be.
    but at the same time,, i see real problems in improving on the ipod. but MS has an ass-load of money to do it with.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

19. zane macrumors 6502

the zune is kinda kool but would anyone really want 1 more than an ipod? Worst case scenario zune takes a 5% market share and the ipods get cheaper and better.

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Not for me(And you seeing your MacBook Pro)...if MS wins and Apple stops selling iPod, I'm done because I doubt Zune will support OS X. Thats one problem with MS, if they only support their OS, the screw over millions of people!(Even Apple is doing the same with Linux users, but they might have a work around. not sure)

Also the Zune seems a bit lacking, its HUGE and has worse battery life then the iPod, and for what? The big screen? My 60Gb screen is overkill for songs, and fine for movies, heck my Nano's screen is good. For me the Zune brings nothing to the table..crap battery life, Wi-Fi is a bit worthless, as I check the iTMS often(but its still the coolest thing the Zune has, and its not terrible) But its hurts battery life, which is far more important to me then Wi-Fi. And no click wheel!

Nope the Zune won't do anything but give iPod haters something to rally on for a while, and since MS plans to lose money(in 5 years they will make some cash they said, if all goes well) MS will be here for a while, no matter how bad the Zune sells

21. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

The Zune will implode because it sucks a lot.

22. zane macrumors 6502

Yeah it could just suck so much that it falls apart when you pick it up.

23. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

I saw pre-release manual on Zune. it says that Zune will be compatible with unprotected AAC, H.264 format. but it never mentions whether the possibility of getting music from ITS. I guess not. its battery life 12 hours for music, 3.5 hours for video without turning on wireless share.

24. aristobrat macrumors G4

That was exactly what I was thinking.

Since Zune most likely won't work with OS X (based on Microsoft's DRM), if it's a better product, it's not like OS X users lose, but it's not like they'll be able to enjoy it either.

25. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

ok, i retract my earlier statement. if it indeed is a better device and has some sort of support for osx i would buy it.