Strategy based wargames?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Naimfan, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003

I've long been interested in military history, wargaming, etc. It seems that modern computer games are either first person shooters or Civilization type games. Are there any wargames available now that resemble old games like SPI's The Next War or Atlantic Wall or Avalon Hill's Longest Day/Panzer Leader/etc?

And if not, (warning--stupid question coming!), how hard would it be to program something like those games?

2. voyagerd macrumors 65816

Jun 30, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    Total Annihilation was a great real time strategy game from 1996. I still have it and play it in Classic mode.

The same guy who made Total Annihilation has recently made a new Strategy called Supreme Commander. It is currently only for Windows, but if you have an Intel Mac, check it out.

There is also Command & Conquer: Generals for the Mac which is more like modern day warfare. Command and Conquer 3 is being released soon, but that looks to be more futuristic.

If you care to try real time space strategy, Homeworld 2 is a really good game.

Company of Heroes is a Windows WWII strategy game. I've played the Demo very briefly and it looked alright.

I'm sure there are a lot more Windows ones that I don't know about. I only get to use an Intel Mac a couple times a year.
  3. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    Q1. Are you aiming for a specific platform? Mac? PowerPC or Intel? Windows OK? Are game consoles acceptable?

Q2. Is the Historical accuracy aspect very important to you or are fantasy or sci-fi titles also acceptable?

Q3. Do you have any preference for an era/setting? (WWII, Feudal Japan, Civil War, etc…)

Q4. Do you want a game focusing exclusively on War or are economic and politics elements also acceptable?

This one for the Nintendo DS looks as classic as classic can be for the genre I think you're looking for. (Release date: April 2007):

Link - Panzer Tactics DS

These could run on more recent macs (OSX):

Link - Hearts of Iron II
    Link - Hearts of Iron

This one looks more futuristic but worth a look:

Link - Massive Assault
  4. Naimfan thread starter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    Thanks for the responses. I should have given a couple of indications in my inital post. I have Hearts of Iron, and that is much closer to what I'm looking for. What I'd love to be able to do would be to play a wargame like SPI's Wacht am Rhein or Next War or Avalon Hill's Third Reich on my Mac. These are respectively battalion/regimental-divisional/corps-army level games.

Generally speaking, if you can see individual tanks/APCs/soldiers, I'm not terribly interested (I saw it for real in Desert Storm).

Also, how hard would it be to program an old wargame? (Aside from licensing issues etc.) What I'd like to do is to simply recreate some of those old games on my computer....

I should also add: I'm using a MBP C2D 2.16, 20" ACD. I'm one of those wargamers who believe the (wargaming) world began when Hitler invaded Poland, so from WW2 onwards, and it's always good if that kind of game is at least rooted in reality. My favorite games are "modern" games--SPI's The Next War, GDW's WW3, etc. These simulate a hypothetical WW3, typically with the USSR invading Western Europe, and are usually referred to as divisional level games. Finally, I really like the economic/political functions--that's what makes a game like Avalon Hill's Third Reich a lot of fun, not to mention SPI's War in Europe and War in the Pacific.

Thanks again!

5. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    I don't think there is anyhing similar to the games you mentioned on the Mac. I've googled a little and it appears there isn't anything recent on the PC side either.

Understood. So that means no maps that shows roads, hills and buildings also. Maps would have to be at a much larger scale, right?

I'm no programmer but I think the game mechanics and graphics part would be easy enough. Coming up with a smart A.I. would be much more difficult. If you ever start working on this, you might want to first start with a version of your game that is played online against other people.
  6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    The Combat Mission games are awesome, but the developer hasn't moved beyond OS9 for the Mac (believe it or not). They've been promising OSX-compatible games for five years now.
  7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2006
    I really miss those old turn based wargames especially Gettysburg and Shilo. I'd love to see a modern remake of something along the lines of Avalon Hill's Advanced Squad Leader. I'd even like a perfect recreation of a tabletop game like Warhammer 40K or Fantasy where you could play the army of your choice without having to purchase and paint the figures.
  8. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    Advance Wars for the stategy game ever!
  9. sb58 macrumors 6502a

May 14, 2006
    does Starcraft, Warcraft, and Age of Mythology count? :D
  10. LastLine macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War

Warhammer: Mark of Chaos.

Google them - Windows only though.
  11. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    I think the original poster is more into Historical warfare, WWII and up, with a focus on macro management rather than micro management. But then again, suggestions can't hurt. :p

A possible good place to look for suggestions would be on a tabletop wargaming forum. Maybe they would also have a section discussing computer games. (Google doesn't seem to find anything, maybe I'm searching for the wrong keywords.)
  12. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
  13. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Jun 29, 2006
    It's not quite like the others, but DEFCON might interest you. Currently it's Windows-only, but a Mac version is in beta and should be released within a month or so.