Strategy for OSX on PC Hardware?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ravenblue, Mar 27, 2006.

1. ravenblue macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2006
    Saint John, NB, Canada
    I can understand why selling OSX "off the shelves" to PC owners could be problematic - it would be difficult to support all the permutations of hardware: logic boards, ram, external devices, legacy hardwareetc... it's no wonder Vista is still delayed.

On the other hand, I can also see how there could be a massive business opportunity here. Apple could consider some of the following to make some gains in their market share:

1. License their OS to select hardware manufacturers (like Dell)
    2. Develop specialized version of the OS that requires PC users to sign up for a ".MAC" account. This can be delivered as a low-cost (or free) DVD install disc, which allows for 30 days free, but then charges a monthly fee for use of the OS. During setup and install, it runs a hardware test to determine if it can run at all. It might run with some limitations in comparison to running on apple hardware.

The only reason they might want to go with option #2, would be to help lead the gradual exodus away from the win-tel platform. Users with aging PC hardware can try mac osx with minimal risk. When they are ready to purchase new hardware, they might be considering a mac next time around.
  2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....I suggest you search and read some of the other threads on the whole "OS X on any PC hardware" issue as the topic really has been beaten to death here a hundred times over....oh yeah!