streaks on powerbook g4 screen

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by taeclee99, Jan 2, 2003.

1. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

My new powerbook g4 screen has visible streaks when wet with a moist lcd cloth. They are not visible when the screen is dry or when the laptop is on. I do dont know what caused the streaks either. I have been using lcd wipes to clean the screen that I bought at best buy. I tried to remove the streaks with no success. What a real bummer. I should of bought the lcd wipes Apple recommended instead of the cheap ones I bought at best buy.

2. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

sorry...posted in wrong forum.please move.

thanks

3. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

4. Steradian macrumors 6502

well

i think that the streaks are not for the cleaning solution but the key board, this is a major problem for most powerbooks, and the reason that i never close the lid.

5. neilt macrumors regular

More than likely these are marks from oil and dirt buildup on the keys of the keyboard. When the lid is closed, they keys just about touch the screen. When you apply pressure to both sides (like when you pick it up), the keys actually will touch the screen. The oil and dirt on the keys transfers to the screen. They normally look like white lines or smudges. They will clean off.

people sell items like leather inserts to go in the laptop when it is closed to keep this from happening. You can use a small piece of cloth. Cut it to be slightly larger than the keyboard. Place it on they keyboard before closing the lid.

neilt

6. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Re: well

The streaks I am referring to are not from the keyboard. My old lombard had those marks. I am using a thin piece of acid free paper between the keyboard and screen. These streaks are thin parallel lines that appear only when the screen is wet. They are always there. I think that the wipes I am using are alcohol based and I have a sneaking suspicion that they caused these marks to appear.

I am going to the local fry's tomorrow and buy the iklear wipes. Hopefully, I can remove the streaks with those. I hope that the anti glare screen on the powerbook has not been damaged.

7. fatalerror101 macrumors newbie

8. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

If the streaks only appear when the screen is wet, what's the big deal? Do you use your PowerBook underwater a lot?

9. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

You're right. Maybe it is really not a big deal. It's just this thing is three weeks old. You know, it is like your first scratch on your new car. I am concerned because I do not want the problem to get worse. This is why I am going with the ikear wipes.