Stream Audio To Another Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Fearless Leader, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I have a new mbp and my G5 with an optical connection to my speakers. Is their someway to stream the audio out of my mbp to my G5 over my network?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not sure exactly if this is what you want, but you can definitely share your iTunes library on the MBP and play any of the tunes from there on your G5 using the standard iTunes sharing.

B

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

Either share iTunes or use nettunes.

If you're looking for something more than that, you're screwed.

4. nplima macrumors 6502a

5. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

these are nice but i just might learn to code my own apps to get this done, and if that doesnt work i'll just buy the iTV.

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I'm not sure why the itunes sharing would not work for you. Seems like the simplest and sleekest way to get it done. All you have to is turn on the sharing on the MBP and then it will be available in the iTunes on the G5.

Are you trying to stream to the G5 while controlling the music from the MBP? I haven't seen any programs that can do that.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

While the OP hasn't explained what the goal is and why iTunes sharing is not ideal, nettunes which was mentioned before essentially does exactly that.
    Another way to do that, which I have used is to remotely control the other machine using the usual tools, VNC or Remote Desktop Client if Windows is involved...

As far as coding your own apps that are compatible: Start with mt-daap and ourtunes (Google them) and you can get a good headstart.

Note that you can bet that iTV wil use the exact same protocols as iTunes->iTunes sharing, especially since they have also used that for iPhoto sharing.

B

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

A really cool app would be one that makes your Mac appear as an Airport Express for music streaming (so your Mac would simply appear as a set of remote speakers in iTunes on the ither machines on your network).

Rogue Amoeba are you listening?

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, an Airtunes client. Unfortunately this might not fly since it would give you a real easy path to take M4P to Apple Lossless. :)

B

10. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

thanks balamw for the links.
    the reason just itunes streaming isnt good enough becuase i use vlc and other programs and using the g5 like remote speakers is ideal.

to the person who recomended vlc, what are you trying to point out?

11. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Airport Express

Get an airport express off of ebay. They're great and have an optical out!

12. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Probably that VLC can be used to stream media over a network, and can be remotely controlled through a web interface.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Furthermore, maintaining sync between the audio and video is next to impossible when you use "remote speakers" from the machine decoding the video. It's much better to stream or access the file itself from the network and render both the audio and video on the notebook.

This is why Airfoil is not recommended for video applications.

B