Stream from iSight to web?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Roy Hobbs, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Apr 29, 2005
    I am thinking about using the iSight as a make shift baby monitor. Streaming the video and audio to a web site to view at work while the baby is at home with mom/sitter/etc....

Is this possible?? If so what software would I need, if any??
  2. Beligerent macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2003
    Exeter, NH
    This is an idea I had 2 years ago. I would sign up for .Mac or pay anything for this capability. This could even be built right into iWeb. You launch the app and stream directly to your .Mac website. The veiwer needs no specikal software. Ive been waiting for this.
  3. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    There's an app called Security Spy that is right up your alley. Sorry, I can't search GOOGLE at work, otherwise I'd give you a link, but you should be able to find it. You can even get a multi-camera system hooked up to it so anytime there's movement in a particular area it wills tart recording. Pretty awesome little app.
  4. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Aug 4, 2005
    This app looks really cool...any1 got it running???
  5. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    The heart of Europe
    Search for "Quicktime Broadcaster". i think, it'll do what you want.
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Here is the page for QT Broadcaster:

But the Apple page seems to imply that running it requires OS X Server... Can anyone confirm if this is true?

EDIT: No, it seems to work fine with the standard OS X. The text for the requirements is different in the actual application. It's a very small download! :)
  7. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    I've never used security spy but I have used EvoCam - simply an amazing and very affordable product. All claims on their website stand as true. Also works with a variety of still cameras.
  8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I was looking at QT Broadcaster a few weeks back and couldn't figure out whether it required QuickTime Streaming Server (included with OS X Server) to work. They say it integrates with QTSS, but don't say whether QTSS is absolutely required to use it. Anyone know?
  9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Yes, I was very confused by all of this. *slaps wrist of documentation writer* :(

Okay, I played around with it at home some more, and I think I can answer some questions:

1) Broadcasting computer just needs OS X 10.3.9 or higher and QT 7 or higher and QT Broadcaster. Nothing else. Server is NOT required.

2) The recipient just needs QT. (And possibly the rights to make firewall mods -- see below.)

3) In this configuration, only one recipient computer can see the broadcast.

4) It looks like you have to use the *Manual Unicast* mode, and you have to define the IP address of the *RECIPIENT* computer. If you tried the IP address of your own computer and you got an error, I think it might be a firewall issue. I dropped my own firewall temporarily, and I was able to "broadcast" to myself. If you put another IP address in the blank, this doesn't seem to be an issue. So it seems to be a *recipient* side firewall issue.

I don't know what the implications of this are for doing the monitoring from work, because I don't have the right hardware at the moment (I'm getting a second Mac ... maybe as soon as tomorrow, and then I'll be able to try this myself). You might be able to get around this if you make the ports for audio and video be the HTTP port (80).

5) You then export this file (.sdp) and make it available to the recipient.

6) You click broadcast on the sending computer.

7) The recipient then launches this SDP file on their computer with QT to watch.

There seems to be a major limitation to this, above and beyond potential firewall issues: you don't appear to be able to do this unless you know the IP address of the recipient at the time you create the SDP file. So this should be fine, if the IP of the recipient is fixed, or if the recipient has a domain name... Otherwise, I dunno. :(