Stream Netflix from Mac to PS3

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by themoonisdown09, Aug 5, 2009.

1. macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I currently have Medialink installed on my iMac so I can stream my movies to my Playstation 3. I also have a Blockbuster Total Access account that allows me to get movies sent to my house.

I used to be a Netflix subscriber, but then I switched to Blockbuster because of the in-store exchanges. Now that you can watch the streaming Netflix movies on Macs, I'm thinking about switching back. Before I do so, I was wondering if there was any Mac software that allows me to stream the Netflix content to my Playstation 3 (as far as I know, Medialink does not support this). I know that there a program called PlayOn that does this, but it's for Windows only. I don't want to have to boot up my Windows partition using Parallels everytime I want to use it.

So, what I'm wanting to know is: how do I stream the "instant watch" Netflix movies to my Playstation 3 from my Mac?

2. macrumors 65832

wywern209

I don't think there is any solution for that... but on the bright side, netflix is apparently in talks w/ sony. so u might get netflix capability on ur ps3 at some point soon.

3. thread starter macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

That would be even better! Hopefully that actually happens.

4. macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I don't think you can with the PS3. I know you can with some blue ray players. I think even some sony models. Its weird how companies find ways to make it difficult for simple tasks. I have a netflix account too, it would great to stream. It would cut down on my handbraking for sure. :)

5. thread starter macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Well, I guess those of us with a PS3 are out of luck. The "watch instantly" feature is an XBox 360 exclusive feature. It looks like Microsoft has a partnership with Netflix... suck.

Engadget link