streaming audio to MP3...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dscan99, Dec 17, 2004.

1. dscan99 macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Is there a tool that does this conversion? For example, I'm listening to streaming real audio and would like to record that as MP3... I've done this on my PC but that was external recording (meaning any background noise such as ringing phone would be recorded also). Is there a tool that does this for the Mac.. ideally it should not be sensitive to bg noise.

2. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2003
    for converting internet radio streams to mp3 use radio lover but i'm not sure if it does real media format (the one you mentioned) so in that case use wire tap, its free and will record anything that plays out of your speakers into a file on your hard drive. you wanted it as mp3 so use quickime pro or some other tool to do the conversion from the aiff that wire tap gives you to mp3

when you said you used external encoding on your windows machine, do you mean you held a mic up to the seaker? i bet that didn't sound too good.

wiretap can be found here
  3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    I use and recommend Streamripper. It records songs streamed from internet radio as individual MP3s – even names them properly with the song name and artist. It’s best for discovering new artists and songs. Free as well.

There’s also AudioHijack, which has a much nicer interface. It costs a few bucks, but it seems pretty good. From what I recall, it does the same thing as Wiretap – records everything as one big MP3.
  4. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2003
    sorry for any confusion, in my first post i mentioned radio lover but the name has been changed to streamripperx. streamripperx=radiolover
  5. gallagb macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    i use....

a program called irecord music

it is NOT free- but works really well
    you can tie it into your iCal and have it all setup to record things automatically...etc

or just open the prgm and hit "record" and it'll record things

there is a lil mute button that allows it to record things while you are doing other things...etc

it's cool- it stays outta your way
    which is nice
    looks like it is $20

not bad for what it does
    but try the free stuff first
  6. Loge macrumors 68020

Jun 24, 2004
    I'd also recommend Audio Hijack Pro, as something inexpensive and will record any application that is using your sound card.
  7. dscan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks for the info, everyone. I will look into these options over the weekend...

12ibookg4, you are correct. When I converted externally on my PC, I did hold the mike to the speaker and the quality absolutely sucked. :( But I was unable to find a better alternative solution.
  8. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    Fan...freaking...tastic. Thanks 'nina!

I can't believe I've been a Mac user for 3 years, and have only just found out about this.

- Maybe it's because my atteniton span prevents reading the whole of the 'must have apps' thread :eek: :rolleyes: