Streaming iTunes Music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tombarnes, Jul 15, 2006.

1. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

My dad has just bought himself a netgear wireless music streamer to use with his PC and wireless network.

I was wondering if there is any hardware other then the apple airtunes thing, that enables you to stream music from itunes on my iMac. I would prefer the hardware to have a built in screen too! (Like the Netgear MP101).

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Tom

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The answer is "yes", but would need to know what formats of files you plan to stream.* AAC?* MP3?* ALAC? WMA?* Others?

Also, it would help to know what you want to stream to.* If you are connecting to high quality systems all over the house, you may want to invest more (in a Sonus system perhaps).

FWIW, for most people's needs, AirTunes is pretty great.

3. tombarnes thread starter macrumors 6502

tombarnes

Its just for songs bought on itunes (128KB/S AAC) and also songs ripped from CD (MP3 upto 320KB/S).

Basically, once the music has been streamed to the streamer, it will be inputted into a stereo through a phono input.

Do you know of any hardware which has a screen that is compatible with itunes?

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Something like this?

A friend of mine has one of these and likes it very much.

For a better DAC, you can also look at Sonos, but it will run you quite a bit more.