Streaming Itunes to Multipule Airport Express?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dross, Sep 13, 2004.

1. dross macrumors regular

dross

I want to instal several airport expresse in my house (Living room, Den, Rec Room) and conect them to powered speakers. I know I can stream Ituens to any one of the rooms but is there a way to stream (the same stream) to all of them? This would be great for background music or parties.

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I highly doubt this is possible. But as an alternative, have you looked into wireless speaker systems?

3. dross thread starter macrumors regular

dross

I thought about that but the Airports are so aforadable and the added benifit of compleat coverage of the network as I move around my house.

Any other ideas????

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The only way I've heard of to do it is to have multiple instances and/or mulitple users running at the same time. Of course, this doesn't give you one simultaneous stream.

I have no idea how you'd do it but if you could set up one stream as a "radio" stream and then run multiple instances of iTunes playing that single "local radio station" each one to a separate Airport Express... that'd probably work. Although it'd be insanely silly... :)

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

apparently since the airpost express has been cracked there will be some new apps coming out for it.

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

How big is your house? I get complete coverage in my 3br/2.5bath two story (including my entire yard of .33 acres) with one Linksys Router.

I guess you can just wait for the hacks.

7. pickles macrumors newbie

Try this out...

http://captnswing.net/howto/itunes/

I found this link on another site. This sets up other users on your computer and moves your iTunes library to a shared folder. I do not have an AE yet, but I tried this out and it does work. I was able to set four other users (labeled for each room) and can play a different song for each room at the same time. It sounded like crap having five songs playing at once, but this should work beautifully. I have no idea what kind of horsepower will be required to encode then stream to all of those AEs.

Good luck!

8. dross thread starter macrumors regular

dross

I need at least two airports one for the basement and first floor and the second on the third floor (where my office is) I was also going to put one out in my garige for some outdoor speekers and to use in the back yard.

I know I am crazy but it would be cool. :rolleyes: