Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Here is the situation:

I have connected my mid-2010 iMac (which translates into 'no airplay' unless of course I use AirParrot etc.) to my older 40" Sony LCD-TV (without any Smart or wireless capabilities) via HDMI. I also have an iPad 4.

Question: Is there any point in getting the ATV3?

One thing I like to do is stream live sports from the Internet and watch it from the Sony. However, I find the whole experience somewhat clunky (I'm not a big fan of using a mouse from the couch). Could ATV make this experience any smoother? Or am I misunderstanding the functionality of the device and is it better for watching Netflix and streaming iTunes content?

Ace1024

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
I too love watching streaming sports. I guess it depends on what you're watching. I know baseball and NBA are on ATV. Just remember, anything you can watch on the iPad can be airplayed to the ATV.

ATV + iTunes + iFlicks/iVI + best implementation of Netflix & Youtube = no desire for anything else (Australia).

I rarely use mirror capabilities for my ATV, unless i'm tutoring my partner on some software. However, if the streaming sports are only flash based, hooking it up directly may be the most optimal way to go.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I (and others in the house) got tired of using a Mac directly to watch TV. Perhaps I could have made it easier with Plex or other means, but I added a Roku for streaming and we are all much happier. I even use it wireless (ran out of wired jacks), with 802.11n, and it is just fine. AppleTV would be similar, I chose Roku for our specific usage.

But it really depends on the precise source, and whether you can transmit that more easily with the external streaming device.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I am also happy with my Roku but what channel do you have for live sports ? As far as I know, streaming from a computer is the best option for live sports.
I don't actually know that, guessing you are correct. I haven't tried too hard to find out, so that's my fault. There is MLB and some other apps for Roku if those happen to be the right sport.

Many live sports is the one thing I personally gave up when I dropped cable/sat. I haven't really found a way to get back to it, except for local broadcasts, which I get through the TV itself. And NFL Rewind, but that's not live. I haven't tried too hard, I'm so busy, anyway. But I do miss the less-watched sports like tennis and volleyball, which never make it to my local stations.

I should clarify why I posted. I have 4 devices hooked up to my main TV that can all handle Netflix and some other streaming. Including a Mac. And I still prefer the Roku. But no, it isn't exactly the best solution for sports. So, I'm answering Yes to the OP's final question.

Last edited:

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
For those Apple TV sports apps you have to pay a league pass & when you add that up you might as well pay for cable

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I don't actually know that, guessing you are correct. I haven't tried too hard to find out, so that's my fault. There is MLB and some other apps for Roku if those happen to be the right sport.

Many live sports is the one thing I personally gave up when I dropped cable/sat. I haven't really found a way to get back to it, except for local broadcasts, which I get through the TV itself. And NFL Rewind, but that's not live. I haven't tried too hard, I'm so busy, anyway. But I do miss the less-watched sports like tennis and volleyball, which never make it to my local stations.

I should clarify why I posted. I have 4 devices hooked up to my main TV that can all handle Netflix and some other streaming. Including a Mac. And I still prefer the Roku. But no, it isn't exactly the best solution for sports. So, I'm answering Yes to the OP's final question.

I was hoping that Roku was coming out with a sports broadcast channel :(. I love my Roku but that's something I miss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.