Streaming music?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Macette, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Macette macrumors 6502

I'm about to build a website for a musician. He is my favourite musician, so I need to impress.

What I want to do is stream some of his tracks from the website, of course.

A few years ago, I did a multimedia class, and the way we were shown how to do it was using the <embed> tag - that is, take a quicktime .mp4, <embed> it, and lo and behold it streams.

However, when i do that, it tests fine on the local drive, but when I upload it to test on the web, all i get is a bunch of text. what am i missing? is it something to do with the format i'm uploading in? should i use .mp3 to encode rather than .mp4, and is this possible in quicktime 6?

is there a better way of doing it? a free or el cheapo program that i need?

i noticed that when the switch ads competition was on, some people had this problem with their movies - the text coming up, rather than the movie - can anybody remember why this was happening?

thanks muchly,

macette xx

2. gandalf55 macrumors 6502

use flash mx to stream mp3s... more people have flash mx than quicktime anyway. flash mx is a dream. :D

3. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks!

so how do i do that? i have flash mx, but haven't had much of a chance to use it yet. do i just dump an mp3 in the timeline and... then what? how do i make a 'player', so that people can play and pause according to their whim? i want users to have some control.