Streaming non iTunes music to Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jrober, Oct 18, 2004.

1. jrober macrumors regular

Jan 22, 2003
    Heathfield, UK
    Does anyone know if it is possible to hack / configure my mac to enable me to stream other music to my Airport Express e.g. real audio player, dvd sound etc?

I would love to have this feature outside of AirTunes but cannot find a way to make it work.

Thanks in advance.

2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    I thought there was already one! :eek:

I don't know if the "JohnDVD" / Whatever his name is did that before but for sure not for Mac, google the man, he was working on that for linux, you may convert the code, but that would be a hard work if it's possible..
  3. m_reeves macrumors newbie

Oct 7, 2004
    you could try nicecast from Rogue Amoeba Software

I haven't tried it myself, but the theory seems sound...

See this post from their support forum:

Using Nicecast and iTunes, you can get any audio into iTunes, and thus, out to the AirPort Express.

If you use Nicecast to broadcast, say, RealPlayer, and then tune in to the stream locally with iTunes (, by default), you can then send that stream out to the AirPort Express. Mute Nicecast's local output, and you've really just created a way to get any other audio into iTunes, which solves this problem, even if it's a slightly less than elegant way.