streaming on "mp3.com" question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vixapphire, Nov 11, 2002.

1. vixapphire macrumors 6502

I use a pc at work and I never have had a problem with mp3.com's high- and low-fi streaming audio; I even use the quicktime plugin to handle the streams. My question is, why am I unable to access the streams on mp3.com from home on my mac, which is connected via DSL to the web? The mp3.com troubleshooting page indicated that quicktime wouldn't handle the streams, iTunes being the streaming audio player of choice on the mac. Therefore I "preferenced" iTunes as the application to run any and all types of mp3 audio in Internet Explorer, whether it be downloaded or streamed. The site also stated that older versions of iTunes did not support the hi/lo fi streams. I have iTunes version 1.something, so, obviously, I'm outta luck.

Question: does iTunes v.2 support the mp3.com site's hifi/lofi streaming (really, hifi is all i'm interested in)? I don't want to have to upgrade to OSX just to run the proper iTunes, and at this point, my computer use and the applications I'm using are keeping me in OS9, and I know that I'm not missing anything (given what I'm doing on my computer). Except, of course, for streaming audio from mp3.com...

Thoughts, advice, heckling all appreciated. And is iTunes 2 still available, in any event?

cheers,
    vixapphire

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I belive you can still get Itunes 2 for 9 here http://docs.info.apple.com/article....alue=100&showSurvey=false&sessionID=anonymous|157575398

I am able to play streams off of mp3.com fine with iTunes and I am using ver.3 on os X, you say your not missing anything staying in 9, but your really wrong on that on. I recommend upgrading to X soon, if you have programs that are not X compatible then you can still run them in Classic (which works even better since Jaguar) and all support for 9 is going to be nonexistant from Apple and most other software etc companies, so unless you never plan on getting any new software then.....also have you never seen os x!?!

3. vixapphire thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the tip on itunes 2. like i said, aside from itunes 3 streaming on osx, there's nothing there that i really need at this point. logic audio doesn't run well in classic from what i've heard, and if i upgrade to 5.3 (osx native) then i lose all of my vst instruments and plug-ins. no thanks, for now. at this point, it's well worth it for me to wait, so i'm in no rush to upgrade to osx.