Streaming Radio - How?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by hughvane, Oct 10, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

hughvane

I'd really appreciate some of the tech experts informing me (and others subsequently) how to make use of Flip4Mac-Quicktime to stream radio that broadcasts only in .wma format. The browser is FireFox 2.0.0.17. Thanks.

2. macrumors 68000

davidg4781

Can you post the website?

I'm able to stream wsbradio.com using Flip4Mac. I really didn't have to do anything but download and install Flip4Mac. In the settings, you can have it either open like it's supposed to, with the ads and everything in Safari (the browser I use, you can pick FireFox if you'd like) or QuickTime. I chose QT because I have access to all the controls, which are sometimes hidden when using it in the browser.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

hughvane

4. macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Personally I prefer Pandora because it lets you pick what kind of music you want to listen to and you can type in artists and it will play tracks by that artist and similar to that artist.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

hughvane

Thanks for your input, but Pandora won't work outside the US.

To other viewers of this post, iTunes has a large array of streaming radio so I'm not short of listening material. It's that I'd like to be able to listen to more local stations via Internet because I live remote rural with lots of hills to obstruct FM radio reception.

Update: found this for anyone interested ... http://www.mikesradioworld.com/
    Strangely, those that show the Windows Media Player symbol just seem to work okay with Mac, providing (I assume) you have WMP app installed. Or maybe it's Flip4Mac doing its thing. I'm using FFox 2 btw. The radio control shows up as just a single player line, similar to Quicktime. What's best though is that I have now found the solution to my issue regarding streaming radio. I hope it helps others as well.

6. macrumors newbie

Flip4Mac won't handle them, but VLC will (free from videolan.org/vlc). First step is to find the address of the stream - so open up the 'listen live' link until you can see the quicktime controls (or not, as the case may be), choose 'page source' from the view menu, and find (apple-f) within the source the text 'asx'*. For example, the first link would be:

http://www1.streaming.net.nz/meta/tvworks-solid-gold.asx

In VLC, choose 'open network' (apple-n) and paste the link into the URL field. Voila!