Streaming Superbowl Live iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by theBigD23, Jan 31, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2008
    Will there be an app or a website that supports the iPad stream the Superbowl live?
  2. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Jun 16, 2009
    Champaign/Urbana Illinois
    Not for streaming I don't think. Not enough money to be made from it.
  3. macrumors 6502a

May 12, 2008
    Officially no. Unofficially I'm sure somewhere in the dark underbelly of the internet, you could find an iPad compatible stream - just depends how much effort you're willing to put in to find it.
  4. macrumors member

hi res

Jan 17, 2011
    Outer Burbs, IL
  5. macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2010
    Liebsthal, Germany
  6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2008
    Slingbox would work well, but I only need it for Super Bowl. I was hoping they'd add an official way to stream, but it doesn't look to be happening.
  7. macrumors 6502

Dec 6, 2010
    Slingbox is great I use it to watch TV on both my PC and 2 iPod Touch's. I don't have an iPad yet but I can imagine with the updated App (that isn't as bad as the reviews say) it would be pretty nice using the high quality streaming.
  8. macrumors member

Jul 30, 2010
    I am sure that the app will carry several streaming channels of the Super Bowl game.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2010
    These days JustinTV is very unreliable with regards to live sports.
  10. macrumors regular

Jun 21, 2009
    Vulkano is a great alternative to slingbox its cheaper and works as well if not better. purchased mine for $80.00 at frys and the app is like $12.00,been using it for like a year now works just fine
  11. macrumors regular

Nov 29, 2012
    If you buy an HD HomeRun (over the air) or the cable card version you can stream live TV to your iPad using instaTV pro (for the HD homerun) or the official silicondust app for the cable card version.

I do it all the time.

You need to be on the same network so no streaming from your house to a hotel room.

I think I saw the HomeRun on sale for $40 on newegg recently. Cheaper than a slingbox.
  12. macrumors regular

Aug 11, 2008
    I've been using Slingbox Solo for about a month now and just love it.
    It allows me to watch my local network shows outside the Directv spot beam.
    The Solo is no longer produced, but can be purchased from Amazon for $83.
  13. macrumors member

Jun 23, 2010
    If you're in the uk you could use tvcatchup, it'll be on bbc.

If not, you could always get a uk proxy/VPN and do it :)
  14. macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2010
    Hd Homerun was a pain to setup. I just bit the bullet and bought the slingbox 350. It cost me about 178 at frys, but you can buy it on ebay for 125.

From what I read the slingbox 350/500 are the easiest to setup. I pretty much plugged in all the correct wires and powered it up. From that point I created my account and log on to the slingbox site. And I was ready within 5 minutes. There was no real setup ( like opening ports, adding firewall exceptions or anything technical). I was really impressed with the clarity and signal. Not to mention I have an unlimited Verizon data plan so I have been able to watch TV everywhere I go now. I hit 10gbs within a three days.

Warning though: Don't buy a slingbox if your internet connection upload speeds are under 256k.
  15. macrumors 601

Dec 18, 2012
    Charlotte, NC