Streaming text to Darwin Streaming Server?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by relimw, Sep 22, 2004.

1. relimw macrumors 6502a

I'm looking for some software that would let me scan a directory for text files that would need to be converted on the fly and then streamed to Darwin Streaming Server. The reason is so that I can post urgent text messages that would be sent out over the voice broadcast.

Thanks.

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

SMIL supports streaming text, but I am not sure how you would do it on the fly. I would have to try before I could give you an answer.

http://developer.apple.com/document...//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40000883-CH213-BBCGBGJJ

ext

You normally specify a text file as a media element using the <text> tag: <text src="http://my.server.com/some.txt" region="r1" dur="5" />

Other SMIL players may present the whole text file as a block of text. QuickTime displays the text as it would any text file imported into QuickTime Player. You can see how the text will be displayed by importing it into QuickTime Player using the default import settings.

To modify the way the text is presented, import the text into QuickTime Player using any settings you like, export it as Text with Descriptors, and edit the descriptors in the exported file as needed. You can also generate a text file that includes QuickTime text descriptor tags using a CGI script or other software.

You can use a text file with QuickTime text descriptors as a SMIL media element when playing the SMIL file with QuickTime. All the descriptors are supported, including scrolling, keyed text, and hyperlinks.

SMIL considers text as not having an inherent duration, but importing a text file into QuickTime creates a movie with a duration of 2 seconds for each paragraph of text.

If you specify a duration for a text element that’s less than the duration of the text movie that Quicktime creates, the display of the text movie is truncated.

You can get around this by specifying the text file using the <video> tag: <video src="http://www.server.com/some.txt" region="aregion" />

This causes the text to be displayed for the duration of the text movie that QuickTime creates.

3. relimw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, maybe I should clarify a bit more. I was thinking along the lines of text-to-speech. Because I'm streaming not only to internet-based people but also over-the-air FM broadcasting. As I will at times be remote to the server system, I need a quick, low bandwidth method to send a report to be transmitted quickly.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

http://www.lane.k12.or.us/insttech/vtc/Text2Speech.html#osxspeech

OS X can read plain text and convert it a computer sounding voice. however, I do not think your listeners would enjoy hearing your broadcast from Mr. or Ms. Roboto. Have you seen war games before? "Do you want to play a game?" Anyways, you can pipe the audio output through your streaming server and your FM broadcast.

what I would try is using your mobile phone, is just call in and record your voice in real time, unless you need to file in text for some reason. You broadcast on the internet and FM at the same time.

5. relimw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, I don't care what my listeners think of the voice :) It's just to provide time sensitive info.

And silly me, I just found what I needed that Apple was so good to supply :)

From the terminal:
    Code:
    say This will say something aloud.
    or load it from a file
    Code:
    say -f myreport.txt
    or save it to an AIFF file, whee!
    Code:
    say -f myreport.txt -o report1.aiff
    Thanks for the help tho, it got me to thinking better.

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

NP, i forgot about that feature, I have that very thing bookmarked from osxhints ;)

Anyways, from now on I am going to call you Mr./Ms. Roboto ;)

7. relimw thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL, actually the 'say' command defaults to whatever voice you have selected in system preferences. In my case, it's 'Vicki'. So that would be Mr/Ms Vicki to you ;)