Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
Does anyone have any luck trying to watch news streams from major news corporations? When I go to abcnews.com, or cbsnews.com, or foxnews.com and I click on video streams, they always tell me that I do not have video software installed since they seem to only be designed for Windows systems. Sometimes Safari will ask if I want to use Windows Player, so I let it, but we all know how dumb that program is, it always says it can't play that format. I have Realplayer and Windows Media player. Should I try VLC? I used to have it and found it to be worse than WMP because it wouldn't play anything hardly. Thanks.

grobbins

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
Quite a few news sites are available for free with RealPlayer 10. Try running RealPlayer 10, clicking the guide button (with a globe on it) in the player window, then clicking News on the left side of the guide window. The guide will show a page listing available current news clips; the clips with grey (not blue) icons do not require a subscription.

CBSNews.com generally also has free video at its site. ABC, CNN, and many others now require subscriptions to view their video online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.