Streaming XM radio in Safari flashbacks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bismarck, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Bismarck macrumors newbie

I set up Flip4Mac to listen to it iin Safari on the Mac and I get the audio. The Safari browser displays a window listing what's currently playing. But repeatedly, partway through a song, it starts playing a song that played a few minutes before. I have to go to Safari and click the channel listing again to go to the current tune.

I guess something is making it go back to buffered streams, but I can't find any setting to change in Preferences to make it stop that. Has anyone run into this with any streaming audio ? I never had a problem on a PC, so I don't think it is XM's fault.

2. Bismarck thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm. May have figured this out by accident. I was minimizing the Safari window after choosing a channel. But having to keep resetting the channel, I wound up leaving the window maximized. Problem has gone away.

So it makes me wonder what Safari or OS X is doing when Safari is minimized. I suppose it's getting a lower priority, but I don't have anything else running as I'm working on my office laptop. But I guess minimized, Safari stops getting the stream and so replays from the beginning of the buffer.

I wish I could get it off the desktop, with no hiccups, but if that's the price for good music, it's worth it.

3. Bismarck thread starter macrumors newbie

It still happens with the Safari window maximized, just infrequently. If anyone has an idea, let me know.

Is there some way of setting a processing priority or telling OS X to not put it to sleep or something like that ?