Streamline website design and updates?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development (archive)' started by maxvamp, Dec 9, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Hello All,

I watch the message boards often, and have not seen this question come along...

I would like to startup a web page for my HOA to replace the monthly newsetter, but I don't want to have to code in HTML for every update that comes along. I know people often maintain busy web sites like Macrumors / MacBytes / MacNN through some form of simplified scripting engine.

I have looked some at PHPNuke, but I was wondering if there were better packages out there.

Any Suggestions?

TIA

Max

2. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Content Management

I believe you are looking for a Content Management system. There are many to choose from.

I hear this one is pretty solid as you develop your own templates and control who can change what.

http://typo3.org/

3. macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Moveable Type is also a pretty common one. I'm actually trying to use that now...but the css is having some issues with Safari..go figure.

4. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Just so y'all know, there's a forum set aside just for web design discussion.

Phatpat-
    If you haven't already, start a thread on your CSS issues and we'll see if we can help you out.

5. macrumors member

6. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

Count my vote for Movabletype. It's more versatile than blogger and it's just too easy to customize if you know anything about web design code.

7. macrumors newbie

Blogger doesn't need PHP and MySQL. Customizable too if you know about code

8. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

my problem with blogger is that it is not single-server-centric. if blogger were to go down, so would updating your site.

9. macrumors member

opensourceCMS

OpensourceCMS is a nice site with lots of info on CMS, blogs, etc. You can try them all out.