stressing out over the purchase of mini.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by krappamc, Feb 2, 2005.

1. krappamc macrumors member

Jan 22, 2005
    i bought mac mini with apple keyboard and mouse (looked so pretty and mini being my first mac, i had to try them =p) and total was about $590 with edu discount. it's just an 1.25 standard one.
    however, i just found out that my school is selling the old version of powerbooks (well, two days ago, it was new) for pretty cheap price.
    i wanted to get the 12" powerbook for 1099 usd which seems like a decent price..
    should i return my mini (they said they will give full refund if i purchase pb) and get the 12" powerbook instead??? what should i do???

p.s. pb can connect to lcd monitor or tv, right? (sorry, i'm a newb)
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    If it were for school, I'd opt for the powerbook anyday. Something about working on a laptop in a library that I always was intrigued by.
  3. gost8go macrumors member

Dec 2, 2004
    powerbooks rock! nothing wrong with the mini but if you can use a laptop, apple's are the best deal out there.
  4. TheSith macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2004
    Hi krappamc,

I would opt for the Powerbook. They are around 1.33GHZ, is that the model you are talking about? I'd go for that definitely. Grab some ram and you'll be smooth sailing.

Considering the specifications in this case, it would be best to get the Powerbook. If you are to get a desktop, I would wait to get one that is powerful - I would not get the mini myself.. because, despite price differences, I'd rather have the portable laptop that is the same, if not faster, processor speed.

I know there may be some differences on either end and I'm not being 100% completely accurate with technical specifications... but I'd go for the powerbook.

ANd yes, your powerbook can connect to the LCD monitor.

I'd actually opt for the 15" if that is possible.. it is a bit more, however, but if you're going to go for a powerbook, I'd go for the 15.
  5. brandon6684 Guest

Dec 30, 2002
    I'll throw in one more vote for the PB. The specs are going to be similar with the PB, except it'll actually have more VRAM and of course the screen.
  6. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    Go for the powerbook. Being at school you can't beat having a laptop in my opinion.
  7. krappamc thread starter macrumors member

Jan 22, 2005
  8. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    im pretty sure laptop ram is more exspensive by like 100+ dollars but i have not checked in a while
  9. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
  10. Romulan macrumors member

Aug 10, 2004
    Yes, laptap ram is more expensive. For a second I thought the powerbook and the mini used the same kind of RAM. But I looked at a Macmall catalog and it turns out the mini actually uses regular size RAM, not "laptop RAM."
    Amazing how the mini has the space to hold all its components, and still uses normal sized RAM! Anyways, little sidetracked there…the extra RAM you would buy for the powerbbok would be more expensive than extra
    RAM you would buy for the mini. Good Luck! :)

P.S. I'd go for the powerbook too. I have the same model. You're gonna love it. :)
  11. jaromski macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2004
    yeah, get the 12" pb. i had one til i just sold it (wanted to upgrade to the new 15" model) that notebook rocks man. plus you can take your compu-gear with you.

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    If you actually plan to take advantage of it's portability, get the PowerBook.

As for me, my iBook always sits on the desk, and never used as a portable, so a upgrade to a mini made sense for me.