Stretched DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I am having an interesting problem with DVD Player. With some DVDs, the picture gets stretched vertically when there are other items on the screen. For example, if the DVD controller is open, the picture may stretch. Hide the controller and the picture returns to normal. The same thing happens when someone signs into MSN Messenger - the picture stretches while the little alert box is displayed, then returns to normal a few seconds later once the alert has disappeared.

I went through the tedious task of trying each and every DVD in my collection (fortunately I only have about 15), and I figured out when it happens and when it doesn't. It happens on all of my PAL 4:3 DVDs (I have 5 of them), and never happens on any of my others (PAL 16:9, NTSC 16:9, NTSC 4:3).

Unfortunately, pressing Cmd-Shift-3 to take a screenshot doesn't seem to work when DVD Player's running. :(

Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do about it, if anything?

Edit: The problem only occurs when running in fullscreen mode.

2. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3. MikeLaRiviere macrumors regular

Resolution

The problem may be screen resolution. What type of screen are you using? Is its native resolution 1024x76 or something of the 4:3 ratio? Or, conversely, is it a wide screen you are using?

When the picture gets narrow, do you experience a moment of black? If so, my guess is that the screen is cycling between resolutions. By this I mean that one might have the desktop set at 1024x768 resolution but run the DVD in 800x600 resolution. If you give me your screen resolution and whether it is standard or wide aspect, I might be able to help you out.

Mike LaRiviere

4. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

The red flag in this post is PAL. Not sure if the powerbook can correctly play these, i would contact apple.

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, I'm using a 1024x768 CRT. The screen does not change mode when the picture stretches, the stretching is instantaneous.

I'm not using a PowerBook, and I don't see why the system wouldn't be able to play PAL, I believe it's the most common format so they shouldn't have a problem (although admittedly 4:3 discs are somewhat rare).

I just tried using VLC, but it doesn't seem to be possible to display the controller while in fullscreen, so that wasn't much help. :(

Any more ideas?

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member