Strict 1-window-only tabbed browsing in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elvineet, Jan 20, 2006.

1. elvineet macrumors member

Hey all,

I've recently switched from Windows and am just getting used to OSX. I used to use an app called Maxthon on Windows which would allow me to have strictly only 1 browser window open and every website would open in tabs.

I know Safari has tabbed browsing but I can't seem to get it to work like I want. I've been using Command-click to open in tabs, but sometimes it will open in tabs and other times it will open up a new Safari window. How do I get just 1 Safari window with tabs only?

Thanks.

2. Aarow macrumors 6502a

To open a link in a new tab (in the background) hold down "Shift+Apple" and click the link.

Hope that's what your looking for!

3. elvineet thread starter macrumors member

I tried that. When I click on a link, say from my email holding down Command or Command+Shift and clicking, it still opens a new Safari window.

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

and you've set the preferences to use tabs?

that's strange. Some websites seem to open new windows even if you've used command click, and i don't like it. i assume this isn't what you mean and it's happening with all sites?

if you control click or right click and select open in new tab does it still create a new window?

5. elvineet thread starter macrumors member

I have set preferences to use tabs. It's not all windows that open in a new browser window but some will do that even if I hold Command and click. Ctrl clicking and selecting new tab works fine.

I was just wondering if there's any way to restrict Safari to 1 window only no matter what.

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Not that I know of, but there is a preference in the General tab of Safari preferences to set links from other apps (Mail, iChat, etc) in your choice of a new tab or a new window. I still find some links that don't respond to command-click/middle-click and insist on opening in a new window, but not very many.

7. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3