Strong Earthquake Shatters Japan

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by applemacdude, Sep 5, 2004.

1. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ap_on_re_as/japan_earthquake&cid=516&ncid=716

Didnt a Japanese scientist predict this?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Earthquakes in Japan seem to occur quit often like here in California. Luckily for the saving of lives both have required by law that buildings are made as earthquake proof as possible. I pray that the injured will heal quickly. That life will return to normal as soon as possible.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Good, only a few injuries. Now my anime won't be interrupted :D

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yeah, that's certainly caring of you.

These on the heels of typhoon # 16, which killed 9 others. More to follow, I'm sure. I wouldn't be surprised if The Philipines don't have one or two soon and Hawaii follows with a volcanic eruption.

Here's more on the earthquakes (in English too): http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20040906p2a00m0dm012000c.html

6. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Dudes!

My house felt like a sail boat on water, and I'm all the way in Kyoto!

I live in an old wooden "machiya." I guess it's more flexible!

By the way, anyone in Japan wanna buy an ibook 800Mhz 14in 60giger?

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That seems quite far to be feeling the effects but they were strong. Hopefully, those nearer to Tokyo are okay.

8. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    im really bad with the geography.. im kind of sure it's rather far away, but how far is Fukashima from those epicenters?

9. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

I assure you, there was nothing uncertain about it ("seems") My 20in display and G5 were right here but I didn't so much as stop to grab one. I headed right downstairs and joined the neighbors on the street.

Apparently there we no deaths, just a lot of shaking and minor injuries, thank goodness. Ah, we had #3 this morning and I guessed it to be a 6.3, but I was off by .1 according to CNN. I was just waking up, but I won't get out of bed for anything less than a 6.5.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, you did say that you are living in a machiya. I'm not surprised that it felt stronger because of it. I'm not discounting how you felt, just that your situation probably amplified it. I know from past experience that loose objects always make the experience much more real.

11. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

I was fast asleep in Tokyo during those quakes. But my friend, working in a studio in tokyo at the time, said it was pretty scary.
    With that volcano suddenly errupting the other day as well, I hope we're not about to get another earthquake like the one in Kansai a few years back.

12. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I remember those days of jumping out of bed whenever an earthquake hit Tokyo. I feel for you guys, althought I moved from one earthquake zone to another, Los Angeles.

The sad part is we did not hear much about the earthquake in the states. I have a lot of friends and family in Tokyo, Chiba-ken and Iburaki-ken. It would have been nice to get some detail information regarding the quakes.

13. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Well, we just had another one! It felt much smaller though, perhaps 5.0

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, there isn't much information about the earthquakes or typhoons here. Maybe these links will help:

http://www.worldtimes.co.jp/
    http://www.asahi.com/english/english.html
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/index-e.htm
    http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/
    http://www.sankei.co.jp/
    http://www.nikkei.co.jp/

15. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

Thanks for the links. I have been reading the Japan Times all week.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I wish that there had been such information available during the earthquake in Kobe back in the 1980s. At least, the t.v. news had information on that but they're 100 percent devoid of anything but hurricane news here now.

17. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

The only way you are going to get up to date news is via Fuji TV.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

NHK has a cable channel or two in northeast U.S.A. but I'm 1000 miles from there. :( I have as little contact to Japan now as is likely to be possible, except for websites and internet radio.

19. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

The typhoons usually come from the south and move up along Japan, they at some point hit Mt. Fuji but never go over it. Thus Tokyo, which is towards the east of Mt. Fuji, rarely gets hit that badly.

Things Fall Apart

irmongoose

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm glad to see that you're okay.

21. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I'm in Aichi prefecture, and we felt it plenty. The scary part was that it lasted so long, about 2 minutes if not longer.

Being here 4 years, I've been lucky in that all the earthquakes that hit were when I was asleep or on the subway, but this was the first time I'd been awake in one. Lamps swinging and the sounds of the whole building shifting around are just not fun.... :( It's like being in an airplane during turbulence, but there's nothing you can do about it ......

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, it's good that you're okay.

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I live about 20 miles to the West of Tokyo.

What earthquake? :eek:

I think that I've been here too long...getting too used to earthquakes!

Sushi

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yeah, the long ones are a bit more disconcerting.

I was working on my computer when both hit. The first one I kept on working as I didn't realize it at first. Then I noticed my PB15 screen was acting funny. Oops. It was my kitchen light swinging back and forth. Oh, I guess we are having an earthquake. Oh well. Back to work.

When I first came to Japan, I would have been out on the street in a flash. But now, I tend to not even notice them.

And if I am sleeping, I don't even notice an earthquake at all, unless I fall out of bed. Then again, I can sleep most anywhere. For example, during helicopter flight school, there were three students to one instructor. So while your stick buddy was doing his practice autorotations (engine out maneuver) and other emergency proceedures, the two other students sat in the back. I tended to sleep during these times. Would wake up refreshed when it was my turn. Then back to sleep after I was done.

...even slept through an emergency landing, as a passenger in the back, on a C-130 that was on fire. My buddy had to wake me up so I could prepare for evacuation! He couldn't believe it.

Sushi

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would say so. I remember just sitting there watching things flop against the wall. Where can you really go to be safe? The same with the hurricanes lately. If it's going to get you, you're not going to get away.

Glad you're okay, even if you didn't notice otherwise. ;)