Stronghold pros

Discussion in 'Games' started by jelloshotsrule, May 8, 2003.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

what the heck is the approach for attacking a castle??? i'm on the 12th mission of the campaign, where you attack the snake's castle, and then defend it...

1 out of 8 times i can even take the castle. and then as soon as the second round of attacks come (with macemen and all), i get housed. i don't have enough time to set up shop before they come and mop up with me.

likewise, i tried an attack level (siege) and had no clue what to do. i had like 200 troops to command and just had no idea the best way to organize...

even when i try to use the archers/crossbowmen to provide air cover, they just get mowed down too quickly from their bowmen on the walls... what am i missing????

also, i'm on freaking easy! so i must just be missing some obvious strategy.... i hope.

2. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I made it all the way through the campaign, but don't remember exactly what level you're on... I think it must be the one that gave me headaches.

basically, I found that my archers can be ordered to shoot at a distance from which the computer's archers will not shoot back. It is slow, requires good placement, but allows you to sharpshot down almost all his troops before you move in with the masses.

Defending the castle was much more difficult. Lots of pitch and stone to rebuild, and many crossbows.

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

4. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

ah pitch is the greatest thing in the came imo. the campaigns slowly introduce new technology so you may not have pitch (but it think you do by the time you are attacking the snake). basically you have swamp land where you build little structures that collect pitch. then you can place pitch on the grass surrounding your castle and put little tanks of fire for your archers t use to have flaming arrows up on your walls. select an archer who is near one of this little things and tell him to target an area where you placed pitch. he fires and arrow and the grass bursts into flames consuming any enemies in the area. you can take down huge enemy armies with just one arrow (and watching the lil guys running around on fire screaming is pretty cool too).

when you start a mission always read the tips. this is where new technologies are usually revealed. (and other tid bits).

when taking a castle i find the best technique is to get through those walls as quickly as possible. tunnelers and ladder men will get you through or over the walls fast. but you need to attack with all your forces so the enemy archers taget pikemen and macemen rather than your important tunnelers.

5. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Yeah, if you don't have pitch yet, then you're not as far as I thought.

I never had success with tunnellers b/c they always get picked off, no matter how many decoys I send along.

6. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

there's been no mention of pitch... i do usually check the tips and i understand the concept of more technology as you go... the tunnelers are new in this level (ie, first time i get them). and moats are pretty new.

so i used the archer strategy you suggested of just picking them off from afar, worked pretty well. so now i have the castle and am building a moat all around it so that their macemen can't come around the perimeter of the town and kill all my people without me even realizing it like they've done 3523445 times already.

thanks for the tips. i'll let you know how i do. sad that i'm having so much trouble on easy... you all beaten it on hard? or what?

7. crackpip macrumors regular

One strategy that I found worked for me in quite a few missions that I was otherwise having difficulty on, was to create a couple towers some distance away from your castle in the direction of the marshalling enemies. Usually I try and put it on higher ground if possible. I then create steps up to the towers and load as many archers/crossbowmen as I can into them. Then I destroy the steps. The towers can take a lot more damage than wall sections, and no enemies can get into the towers, so your archers are pretty safe. Often you'll have to repair the towers in between waves.

For me I think the hardest level is when you lay siege to the pigs(?) castle with a ton of spearmen and macemen (like over 100), some ladder guys, some archers and some crossbowmen. The enemy has a bunch of pitch around. That was a pain in the ass for me.

Stronghold's a great game though.
    crackpip

8. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

OK. I loaded up Stronghold over the weekend and figured out which level you're on.

1. Before you move on the castle, use your arches to wipe out all the wolves and rabbits.

2. Use the spearmen to take the keep in one big charge. Shouldn't be a problem.

3. Build 2 or 3 more wheatfarms, a granary and 3 or 4 bakeries for food.

4. Build at least four bow producers and two more Ox carts. A couple more woodcutters as well.

5. Do al those steps immediately. You'll have a short warning prior to the Snake's arrival. With luck, you'll have enough stone to build a wall from the farms to the quarry, protecting everything. Build two towers on each flank, in addition to the central gate. If you're short a little stone, build a marketplace and buy whatever you need to finish.

6. Just before the attack, build as many archers as you can and place them in the towers.

7. Before the second attack, you should be able to add the second layer to the wall.

8. By the third or fourth round, you can build a second, inner wall at the top of the ramp, just in case they do manage to get throught the first one.

9. After that, build a couple stone towers way out front of your wall, fill it with as many archers as it can hold, destroy the ladder. Build a couple of these and the Snake will run right past them. Then you can catch them in a vicious cross-fire.

9. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ok. so i've moved on.

well, now i'm at a level where i'm attacking a castle in the pig's territory... mission 15 i believe. anyways, its' the first time having the battering ram and such.

and i can't seem to make much progress. you have to get through at least 2 layers of gate... i can get through the first with the ram, and take out the people in the towers... but then people at the next gate (crossbowmen) take all my guys out as soon as i get through the first gate basically... i see no point to the tunnelers. and i can't seem to get my archers to do anything worthwhile before getting mowed down..

ahhh. this game is frustrating. great game, but it just seems like i'm missing something, yet again. again, i'm playing on easy... ahhh. hah

ahh well