Stronghold

Discussion in 'Games' started by AmbitiousLemon, Mar 26, 2003.

1. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I was wodnering if anyone here has played/is is playing stronghold.

A thread here on civ3 got me interested in playing and after growing tired of that i moved on to stronghold.

pretty fun game. i have fun even when i lose, and i cant say that for many games.

anyway wondering if anyone here has/is playing and what you all thought of it.

2. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

I havent but I have wanted to!!!!!!

btw Is it like lords of the relm (old castle sim for mac)

anyways whats it like,

3. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

never played lord of the realm.

its a fun little game. when i first saw it i was wodnering how it would be different from Age of Empires, but it is really different. Completly focused on the castle.

You can play a game where you free build, play defense, or play offense. and then there are the story line games.

One cool thing that i just cant get enough of is pitch. you lay pitch in a field (usuallya round your castle walls) and then light it up when the come to attack you. nice huge wall of fire and any unfortunate attackers who find themselves too close run around screaming spreadig more flames. you can take out quite a large force with a single firey arrow.

its fun though. you do the usual economic stuff. grow crops, process crops to make bread of beer. hunt. chop trees. mine stone and iron.

the enat stuff is the war oriented stuff. you can tunnel under walls. build catapults and trebuchets. build ladders to crawl over walls. and your defenders can kick the ladders back down. lots of neat little things. and when the enemy to knocking down my walls its still fun because its kinda funny how quickly everything can go wrong.

i would definitely suggest playing a defensive game to learn and play at the easiest setting.

4. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

cool I will have to pick it up now...it was only 19.95 at compUSA last time I checked:D

5. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Re: Stronghold

I like the game unfortunately I don't have much time to play it so I'm still on opening scenarios and haven't done a mp game yet but I love the game

6. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I have played it, and it was fun, but some parts were a bit too easy. I forget which mission it is but the one where yu have a castle up on a plateau and you have to take a castle accross the valley is good, and the one where you can build a catle in the middle of the river. I did not really use the pitch very much, I mostly used just overwhelming amounts of archers or crossbows.

7. crapple33 macrumors member

I don't play it because I'm still playing Civilization III, but my brothers have been playing it non stop for the last month or two, so it must be pretty good. I'll at least say this much: from what I've seen, there's no current game anything like it.

8. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I've been playing a lot lately. Still haven't developed any tried and true strategies, besides the very obvious. It seems to me that if you keep the people happy, you'll be fine, but once they start leavign, it is very hard to get them back.

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

what game play option would you all recommend doing first? i played it a bit a few months ago, but it seemed a lot like warcraft with a more castle feel, but not quite different enough or better to get me to play it a ton

i think i'll give it another go, which style should i play (ie, offense, defense, etc)

10. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I like the military campaigns more than the siege (both defensive and offensive scenarios). The scenarios also become much better once you gain the ability to build bakeries for food (makes production much quicker and more efficient) and once you can make crossbowman (these are the best for taking out armoured opponents).

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

is there a level based game type? in other words, do you keep building up? or is it just different scenarios where you restart each time?

12. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

If you start a military campaign, each succesive mission is based upon the previous one, but you do not have the same surroundings or castle each time. Throughout the campaign your goal is to take out the corrupt lords around the country, and you are given more abilities in each mission ie. you start with archers and spearman and then develop crossbowman, horseman, knights, and macemen. You also develop different strongholds, beginning with only a wooden keep and wooden walls, and later developing stone walls, defensive towers, and other structures. So in a sense it is level based in that you develop through successive missions abilities that help you complete the story line.

13. iEric macrumors 6502a

I just got the game on ebay :) only 25US bucks including shipping :)
    it costs 80 bucks CAN at the store..here in Vancouver :( So ebay was my only choice. But i dont care if its used or scratched. just as long as i can play :D

14. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I'm up to one of the more difficult campaigns - the end of the Pig.

He's got a VERY well fortified castle, complete with moat and crossbowmen...

I've got a HUGE force, all completely out in the open...

Who's going to give first?!?

I'm going to give the game a rest for a while - just to think things through.

;)

15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah. i've been on this level for months. what the hell??? it's on freaking easy!

i accept that i suck at the game, but seriously, i don't get why this level is so hard.... someone who's beaten it, please give some tips. i believe it's mission 15 or something.......?

16. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

Tips

It's been awhile so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but here goes:

That level where your army is out in the open and you have to take the castle. . . move your bowmen around and experiment. You'll be able to knock off a good chunk of their defenses without losing many men just by positioning them around the castle and taking pot shots at the defenders until they are gone. Then bring your army en mass and finish off the rest.

Now, if you want my secret to defeating nine insane level computer opponents at once in Warcraft III, that will take some explaining and a lot more practice. :)

17. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I have gotten to the last level of the military campaign and I keep having problems beating it!
    Dam pitch ditches kill all my men

18. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Re: Tips

Always good advice in this game.

I've been playing the "Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf" invasion campaign alot lately. That one's fun.

19. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

anyone know if they plan to release stronghold: crusader for mac?