Struck by Lightning....

Discussion in 'Community' started by xsedrinam, Aug 4, 2005.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Aside from the fact that he killed himself, I think the message was with all the luck he obviously had NOT getting killed, he should have bought lottery tickets.

And then, once he won the big money, he should have stayed the hell out of the forest.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sadly it seems that his 7 lives were used up. All of that prior good luck. Then to commit suicide over a women. Hopefully he has found the peace that he sought. :(

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i ride dirtbikes; i break a lot of bones and still dust myself off and get back up again. people think i am out of my mind a great deal of the time, but it's just a part of who i am and i can't imagine my life any other way.
    i imagine this was his reasoning for walking back out into the storm so many times, know what i mean?
    while it does sound a bit stupid, often it's one of those things that you have to experience to understand. [shrugs]

killing yourself over a woman, over anything is just plain idiotic to me though.

5. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Wow that guy is unlucky.

This couple in a town nextdoor to mine were at a lake durring a thunderstrom. They were going to get married but then the guy got zapped by lightning and died.

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

my aunt was struck by lightning 30 yaers ago. since then she's always hiding in the basement when a thunderstorm is near her house.

she had only some superficial burns. but the problem is that there can be a damage in the heart muscle. that can lead to lethal heart failure even days after the lightning struck you.

i witnessed some thunderstorms in the mountain while climbing. there isn't much more scary then that. some people i know got killed in the mountains by lightning. so whenever i'm on a mountain and a thunderstorm comes up i'm the first to run down to the valley. never underestimate the motivating factor of fear. :D

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

the unfortunate thing is the way it can travel, i understand her wanting to hide downstairs but that isn't totally safe either. however, what are the chances of being struck again? :eek: ;)

there was a horrible thunderstorm a few years ago that came out of nowhere while i was wake boarding, i got in the boat and we sped across the lake, terrified... lightning was striking the water not a couple hundred feet around us. we docked and as i was standing there securing the boat, my hair stood straight up on end... my friend saw that and nearly had a heart attack while screaming at me to just run for it. (i didn't quite realize that what it meant was i was really close to being the next "target" that negative electricity all around me... scary!) when we got towards the house and i was under the balcony, there was a crash so loud that my ears rang for over an hour, that storm was right on our ass, it was really intense.

that's my thunderstorm story, don't have any others that were interesting enough to mention

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Actually, he was really lucky - getting hit by lightning and surviving once is lucky - 7 times is nuts.

D

9. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

<ot>
    While I personally agree, I can also play the devil's advocate and argue this statement if you believe in evolution :D
    </ot>

10. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

One of the times he got his big toenail blasted off.. that would hurt really bad. Ouch :eek:

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

well, you got a good point there - Darwin wins again :D

12. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Exactly! :eek: The earlier post mentions "Darwin" and I know this can't segue/morph into a religious or philosophical thread, but it's difficult to drop either a random selection map or a predestination map over this kind of scenario. I suppose that's one of the reasons why the story is so fascinating.
    X