Struggling With Microsoft Word for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hicks., Dec 20, 2006.

1. Hicks. macrumors regular

Hicks.

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble putting a footnote (name, student number, page number etc) on an essay i'm doing. How do you set up a custom footnote with this programme?

It took me ages to sort out the fact that it printed off edges of paper! Even though I selected A4 as a paper size, there was another tab that said I was using a custom paper size :mad:

Thanks.

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Just go into the View menu and then down to Header and Footer. All of your options will show up.

Alternatively you can just double click on the area above/below your margins and you will get into the header/footer.

3. Hicks. thread starter macrumors regular

Hicks.

That's great thanks.

One more question... can you do the footer once and set it to repeat on every page?

When I right click to copy the footer there is only an option to add to contacts (my name)..

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

By default, the footer (which is a different thing than a footnote) goes on every page with a document section. You do not need to copy/paste anything. So if you add a footer to the first page, it should automatically populate to all other pages. If you want a different footer on the first page, there's a button with a "1" on it in the header / footer toolbar.

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

If you press the little button which has a page with # on it the page numbers will automatically insert. No need to copy and past headers/footers, they will be the same on every page unless there is something like a page number involved.

6. Hicks. thread starter macrumors regular

Hicks.

I must be stupid or unlucky because it's not working!

The footer toolbar is straightforward, I can see the page button with the No (shoot mac doesnt have that number symbol!) symbol on it but it doesnt populate onto the next page...

7. Hicks. thread starter macrumors regular

Hicks.

Ah ha here was the solution. If I put the footer on the second page it did populate. Doesn't do it on the first page for some inane reason.

Thanks again for your help fellas.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It sounds like you may have accidentally already had a different first page header/footer set up. When I tried the first page of a document, it did all the pages automatically....

Anyway, though, Word is really not so bad once you become used to it. What did you use before? We're glad more or less :p to continue helping you... ;)

9. Hicks. thread starter macrumors regular

Hicks.

I've only ever played about with Word 98 (I think) at work. Never seriously written anything! Just started a college course and the assignments need to be set out just 'so' for the markers.

I must have set up a custom one at some point. I usually work via trial and error to solve my issues, so i probably did it then.

I must learn some keyboard shortcuts for Word- may speed me up a little.

My next problem is with my Epson printer! Printing out in funny, dark colours :mad:

10. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

You have to change your footer spacing in page setup, where you setup your margins. Set it to .7 for it to view and print properly. You should be able to do a print preview to double check.

Personally, I put all of my info in the header, right justified. Does your professor require that you put it in the footer?

11. Hicks. thread starter macrumors regular

Hicks.

The college course that I'm on have said that's what we need to do (i.e. use a footer). They've also specified font, font size, and margins- which I have set up correctly (for a change).

When I go into page setup I get this screen (see attached).

No mention of footers :confused:

Attached Files:

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I believe the margin setting, along with the footer spacing settings, are in a subsection of the print dialog box, not in Page Setup (I haven't used Word in a while, but generally speaking, programs have similar print dialogs).

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No. It's the Format > Documents... menu selection.

14. Hicks. thread starter macrumors regular

Hicks.

Excellent! thanks for that. Gotta love this helpful place :)