Stuck all night at work

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by leekohler, Jan 4, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK, I'm stuck here at work probably all night. This is due to the fact that my company can't hire decent people or train them. I sent my production support staff home because they kept getting everything wrong- and I mean embarrassingly so. I have a client review of a large project first thing tomorrow and it looks like crap. I finally got tired of sending their work back to them with corrections after about the fourth time. My work got backed up as a result, so here I sit. Incompetence annoys me like nothing else on the world.

2. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

been there + done that = hate it for you. :)

my sincere condolences. Since you're probably there alone, I'd suggest cranking up some tunes and getting some work done with a beat.

Good luck

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The night crew is here, so I can't jam unfortunately. :( I'll make it. I just get tired of this BS.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

and he doesn't get paid overtime for this! Nor does he get a raise or any reward at all. Ugh, it makes me so ****ing angry.

e

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

As well it should! That's just ****ed up. I thought any hours worked over 40 had to be at least time and a half by law...

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Not if your on salary.

7. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Well, I'm in Chicago too, and I ain't asleep, so give me the address and I'll bike by and egg the place for you!

Unless they make you clean that up, too.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I bet they would. ;)

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

A (slightly) reformed control freak writes...

My new tactic: let bad work done by others and signed off by monkeys go out the door and when things go wrong, use it as a stick to beat managers with.

If you insist on carrying the can for everything and the work gets done by you covering for everyone else, then they think you're coping as a team.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Trust me, no one thinks this is working. In a few hours, they're really gonna know. ;) And if I let it go, it would be ME looking bad in front of a client, and that is NOT going to happen. Believe me, the appropriate people are going to suffer for this.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Great advice from BV, Lee. The workplace can't be a house of cards built around one person. Not unless it's your house of cards and you get all the rewards.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Ah, well that makes it alright then. :D

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It'll be the fun part. :)

14. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Can you get rid of said team and replace with new team? Might be time to swing the old ax

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Must be dawn in Chicago in the next hour or two... make yourself some coffee. :)

Speaking of work, I better get some done. Conference brochure, A4, CMYK 250gms outer + matt lam, mono inner + 36pp 150gsm text, run: 5000... ;)

<eats chocolate digestive, sips coffee and stares out window again>

Sigh...

16. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Yeah. I have some work I need to do today as well.

First some sleep, then show a prospective tenant my old apartment, then maybe settle down with a Guinness and get cracking at this darn PHP project that I've been putting off over break,

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I can probably get them to get rid of a few. I think this little event will be convincing.

18. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Ouch, sucks to be you. These things happen tho I guess, I know how it feels my man.

19. miTunes75 macrumors 6502

Leekohler:

Let us know who things went after you get some rest.

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you're going to put your exercise regimen to good use then eh? good on ya!

21. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I hope things went well for you and your client was satisfied :) After that, GET SOME SLEEP! You deserve it

22. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Your story reminds me of every group project I take part in:rolleyes:

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

OK- I left this morning after finishing everything. The presentation was great! However, there will be much discussion this coming Monday about how to fix our production department.

24. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

i think he should get a better job

working for free for somebody else are stupid heroics only done by the ignorant new hires with no experience, or someone who has a terrible life outside of work

i have always managed to find work in the last 30 years where i actually get paid for my services

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you forget any job that is salary you do not get paid overtime but as a general rule the Salary people who are not paid over time make more money than hourly works who do work over time.
    For example when I finish my degree I more than likely going to be working 50-60 hour weeks at time and not getting paid a dime in over time but my salary is going to be around 50 grand starting and after about 10-15 years I will be making close to a 100 grand + bonuses (which might be easly be another 50-60 grand). Do you think an hourly worker has a real shot at pulling in that much money.