Stuck in an airport with low battery? You need the AirPower Wiki...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lau, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Lau Guest

The title says is all, really. A good bloke has put together a wiki to locate a power socket in the world's airports.

AirPower wiki link

[​IMG] Nice.

2. dcv macrumors G3

3. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Find a niche and a solution to customers' problem and you have a winner. Unfortunately for me, I don't travel by plane all too often. Twice in the last 5 years. :)

4. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Nah. It's far easier to rip off someone elses idea and just market it better. Ask Bill Gates :p

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Wow... that's an all-around great idea!

Though I agree with one of the comments made on the site. I could imagine this being linked to PDF layouts of each airport with notations as to where the power is. There's so much potential here!

(Though, like spicyapple, I don't fly much.)

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Interesting concept, I suppose, as long as you've had the foresight to print out the list and bring it with you when you travel. Otherwise, you may be SOL, since getting net access in airports is generally far more difficult (and/or expensive) than locating a power socket.

While I occasionally have to walk around a bit to find them, it's not like they're all the tough to spot.

7. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

You can use your radar. ;)

8. Lau thread starter Guest

Mmm, agreed, emw. There really should be free wireless networks in airports, I think.

Now another good one is locating power sockets on trains (in standard class). You get the odd cheeky one under some of the tables, presumably for the cleaner's hoover. They have a big sign on them saying "Not for public use", but clearly, that's a lie. :D

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Damn, my secret's out! :D

I'll start an e-petition and ask people at airports who agree with us to log in and sign it.

10. Lau thread starter Guest

Excellent idea! :p

11. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I love Florida airports. :D

12. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I remember seeing ads in O'Hare for wireless internet access...

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yes, but not for free in most cases, unless in non-United terminals. There are some airports (Harrisburg, for example) that have free access, but it's rare in my experience.

Apparently I don't go to Florida enough. :p

14. bobscliff macrumors regular

bobscliff

Okay i gotta ask: who is that guy in the picture?!

15. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

Buffalo's got the whole airport wired through ThinWires I think... plus the $tarbuck$ has a T-mo hotspot, which is pointless.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think it sucks how much airports charge for Wifi. Last summer, my flight out of Laguardia got delayed, so I took out my iBook to see if there was free WiFi to keep me occupied. They wanted something like 10 bucks for 24 hours usage. What a ripoff. I decided not to purchase it, and then found something else to do.....watch the cops haul some drunk guys off a plane that just landed :D