Stuck in customs, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by meniscus, Sep 18, 2003.

1. meniscus macrumors newbie

On separate orders I have a 40Gb iPod and new PB 15"/APX base station.

Both show shipped on the Apple store order status, and were due today, but I cant track them on Airborne. Called Apple service and they said something about both being held by customs with no ETA for release to distribution. I believe the iPod is coming from Shanghai, while the PB is coming from Singapore. They say I will be able to track after Airborne has them from customs.

Has anyone else heard this on orders due this week? Does anyone else have previos experiences on theses type of situations and know how long these customs hold ups typically last? THX.

2. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

Customs can hold any shipment for any period of time that they choose. Is it coming in through LA by chance? The customs office in New Jersey was just shut down last week for 2 days due to the office moving locations (how stupid is that?).

Your shipment very well could be in a container that is being spot checked. Being that it is sensitive electronic gear, that could mean stripping the container and checking it by hand.

This the stuff that will become more and more common once the Homeland Security gets out of control. There are Senator's out there that think every single container (millions and millions per year) should be scanned, without any idea of what that does to the shipping industry. Reliability in overseas shipments is already falling, and is only going to get worse :(

Most likely your delay is 2 to 5 days. That is the most common timeframe with customs delays.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yea, I fugured that must be why for 12hours I could't track my iPod. But now that It's cleared customs, Airborne should have it in Seattle, and getting ready to truck it down here to Portland.

TEG