Stuck Key

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mem, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Mem macrumors member

Jul 1, 2004
    Hi Everyone,
    Over the weekend I discovered that the left side of my G key was sticking (but still working). On Monday I realized that the G key was fine, but now the right side of my F key gives me resistance. The key still works, but if I'm not carefull to press down hard it won't work. Any quick fix for this?

Thanks in advance
  2. Kernow macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2005
    Could it be something lodged under the keys, like dirt, crumbs etc? It may explain why the problem is migrating left.

Turn the keyboard upside & give it a shake. Even better, get hold of a can of compressed air & blow it through the keys to dislodge anything that may be lurking.
  3. Mem thread starter macrumors member

Jul 1, 2004
    Sorry...forgot to mention that its a 2 year old Powerbook. Same advice?
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Make sure it's off before turning it upside down and shaking. Compressed air could help too. :)
  5. frankblundt macrumors 65816

Sep 19, 2005
    South of the border
    if you're brave you could pull the whole thing to bits and give it a good clean from the inside - good step by step guides at pbfixit for most models and parts
  6. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    The 'Stuck' key, which one's the 'Stuck' key?

sorry, couldn't resist... :D
  7. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    Another tip for you.

I realize your problem has probably already been solved, but I just have one little piece of advice. I bought a compressed air duster at staples and it came with a brush type thing made for cleaning keyboards.. works wonders with unsticking gunk under keyboards, and cleaning dust and etc. in general.

Maybe look for that combo pack next time you're in there? It wasn't expensive at all. Red box, just like everything from staples ;).