Stuck on "Preparing iPhone for software update" when trying to update to 4.0 beta

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleHack23, Apr 8, 2010.

1. macrumors member

So some of you probably read that I just made a registered developer account with Apple. I got my UDID on my account, went past the activation but, now for some strange reason, iTunes is saying "Preparing iPhone for software update", and has been saying that for about 15 minutes. I don't want to cancel it, because iRecovery didn't work the last time this happened to one of my devices, and I had to restore. So please, what do I do? Thanks in advance!

2. macrumors 65816

How did you try to update, what process? What operating system are you using? What version of iTunes are you using?

3. thread starter macrumors member

I plugged my phone in, held option and clicked update, selected the 4.0 3GS firmware I downloaded, and I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.8, and iTunes version 9.0.3. It just crashed actually and gave me an error, then my whole Mac froze, had to hard reboot the Mac, boot up iPhone with iRecovery, and now I'm trying it again, and its still hanging...what do I do???

4. macrumors 65816

You have to use iTunes 9.1.

5. macrumors 6502

qft. It works with 9.1