stuck pixels on new studio display

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by switchedanhappy, Nov 18, 2003.

1. switchedanhappy macrumors regular

Nov 16, 2003
    ct usa
    There are two (count 'em, two!) stuck pixel on by brand new 17 inch flat panel, just got it last week. do you guys think it's worth battling tech support for a new one? do you think they'd give me a new one?
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    There is no way on earth that you will get a replacement, it's a sad fact I know, but dead pixels are a risk when you buy an LCD. For a replacement there would have to be a lot more than just 2 dead pixels, sorry :(
  3. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    have you tried massaging them out. If they are stuck and not dead, I've read that you can massage them to unstick them.

edesignuk is right, two problem pixels are no where near the threshold for replacement. Its somewhere between 5 and 10.
  4. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    no chance for a replacement. two isn't that many, if you ask me...

my PB 12" screen was perfect when i got it. after 9 months, it developed one dead pixel. so even if it's perfect now, it may fail later. and there's no guarantee whatever the replacement you fight for will have a perfect screen.

massage and see if it helps. i hope it does.

it may sound ridiculous, but if LCD manufacturers had to guarantee no dead pixels on all LCDs, their prices would be nowhere close to "affordable."
  5. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
    I feel you pain, my iMac came with a dead pixal. It's just a sad fact of LCD's, but i expect a higher grade of quality control when spending 2000 + bucks for a computer.
  6. cliffm macrumors member

Dec 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    My new 17" Powerbook has 2 stuck pixels. I have spoken to tech support many times and they won't do anything about it because it is "under spec". :mad:
  7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    VERY ANNOYING, but sadly, the same where ever you go, be it laptop screens, stand alone monitors, apple, dell, hp...:(
  8. GigaWire macrumors 6502

Dec 25, 2001
    That sucks... I was recently in an apple Store that was elling returned products and at least 3 of the laptops were returned with 1 dead pixel each. But, the dead pixel was in the center of the screen. So if you have a dead/stuck pixel obviously centered, you may have a chance at a replacement if you bring that up.
  9. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2003
    Connecticut, United States of America
    If you get an LCD in circuit city... SONY etc. You can return it, no problem at all. Apple displays = risk.