stuck screws

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by smada, May 25, 2003.

1. smada macrumors member

Well I am in the midst of replacing the internal HD in my iMac DV SE with a 60 GB HD that I keep in an external enclosure. All I need to do now is just get the internal one out, and it's being held in by 4 measley screws. Problem is, they won't budge! I'm apprehensive about putting any penetrating liquids in it, simply because I've seen less liquid do more damage. Do you all have any tips on removing these 4 troublesome screws?

2. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Tap and twist (think low power impact wrench).

Or you can drill them out.

3. Mblazened macrumors regular

Have you mangled these screw heads? There's really no reason they should be stuck. Use your muscles!

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Push down on the screwdriver with one arm, hard, and turn it against your palm with the other. They will go, do not use anything on them. Strength is the only thing to use here.

Make sure you don't strip them tho... it's a bugger to get them out then (i just had it happen with a powerbook)

pnw

5. smada thread starter macrumors member

Well I just finished putting in the new HD. Here's some advice for anybody who has trouble getting screws out in the future. Turn off your computer and let it sit for a while. The temperature had caused my screws to expand just a tiny bit so that they wouldn't move, but after I let it come to room temperature they came out like it was nothing.

Attached Files: