stuck vertical line in new LCD harmful?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bigsteve3, Mar 14, 2005.

1. bigsteve3 macrumors member

Here's an interesting predicament:

I bought a new Sony LCD (19" HT95, tv/monitor combo) yesterday at Circuit City. After using it for several hours, a 2-pixel wide line of hot pink appeared stuck on the left side of the screen. I turned the monitor off and went to bed.

This afternoon, when I used the monitor again, I turned it on to find that the stuck pixels were not there (to my relief!). However, after using it for an hour, a 1-pixel wide line of blue has appeared in the same place.

Sony's site says that it's probably related to temperature fluctuations or extremes. Is it unsafe to the monitor to continue using it this way (I have no control over temperature while I'm gone during the day), and will those lines that occasionally appear become permanent if I continue using it?

-S

PS I'm tempted to wait another few days, and if it continues, try to exchange it at Circuit City.

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

How much does the temperature change during the day at your home?

I'm sure it can't be that much so I would take it back for a refund. You shouldn't have to worry about normal temperatures breaking your monitor - and we're not even into summer yet.

3. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

That doesn't sound good, and it shouldn't be happening to a brand new monitor. I would exchange it right away.

4. bigsteve3 thread starter macrumors member

Well, thanks for your input.

An unfortunate update...

I discovered that pressing ever so gently on the casing just below the screen where the line was stuck makes the line go away instantly! This means that it is indeed a hardware problem in and of itself...looks like I'll be going to the store soon...

-S

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That's not unfortunate. That's damn FORTUNATE. You have established the cause of the issue, and there can be no dispute now that there's a hardware problem. In other words, you should have no difficulty obtaining an exchange.

"Unfortunate" is when you can't repro a problem when you need to...

6. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Are you going to swap it out for another one of the same, or are you going to go for a different brand/model?

7. bigsteve3 thread starter macrumors member

Fair enough. I just think it's unfortunate that I am having this whole experience. But you're right...it won't be hard to show them, and Circuit City has excellent policies about returns/exchanges...I used to work there.

And, yes, I will be exchanging for the same model. I love this monitor/tv so far!!!

-S

8. bigsteve3 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, update:

I finally had time to go to Circuit City today after making it through a tough week of classes/tests. They were very nice about everything, and have agreed to exchange it. However, a new one must be transferred from another store, because the store I went to is really ghetto and doesn't have much of anything :( But, in another few days, I'll be up and running again.

Overall, I would wholeheartedly recommend this LCD (Sony MFM-HT95) to anyone who is in the market...it is excellent in every way I can think of: brightness, response time, contrast, inputs, etc.

-S

9. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I might reccomend you use a monitor that has no defects and THEN reccomend it? lol :p

---

You're lucky they are getting you a new one!