Student ADC Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AaronICT, Feb 15, 2007.

1. AaronICT macrumors member

Anyone here a member of Student ADC? Besides the generous hardware discount, what's the other benefits like? For example, are the monthly mailings useful? Is it true when Leopard comes out, I'll get that with my ADC membership?

Thanks for your input.

2. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

1) Yes.
    2) You get a copy of Tiger plus an OSX t-shirt.
    3) If you program, yes. I went through the first few months but haven't really touched the last fe.
    4) Yes.

3. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Yeah theres no other surprises

4. AaronICT thread starter macrumors member

What about Leopard? Do ADC members receive Leopard when it releases automatically?

5. Habusho macrumors 6502

If it's released within 1 year of signing up for the ADC.

6. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I have just found out about the ADC. I am just sort of confused about what its about. So if I am a student, I sign up for the ADC for $99, then I can receive around %20 off a new computer? Do they have the Mac Pro that I could purchase through this and if so for about how much?

Now, what are the stipulations on my part. Do I need to do anything along the way of any sort. Or could I just sign up, get the discount and do nothing else after that? Hopefully someone here can fill me in on this. If it is what it sounds like, why don't more people join to get the discount?

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Details are here. Anyone can access the Developer Store to see prices here.

You will have to fax proof of current enrollment before they'll activate your account.

It's also important to note that you only get one ADC student hardware discount per lifetime. So make it count by buying an expensive machine.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Wow...thats a deal on the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro, the iMac, Mac Mini and Macbook deal are not as good.

Also it seemed as thought I could as anything I want to my cart? So I could buy a MacBook Pro and Mac Pro for that price?

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

No, you are only eligible for one hardware purchase if you have a Student ADC membership.

10. polevault139 macrumors 6502

Well for the Select Membership you can get 1 hardware purchase per year, but for $499.

The Premier gets you 10 Hardware purchases per year for $2,499.

11. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have any first hand experiences with the program as far as software related.

12. jng macrumors 65816

jng

What kind of proof? Schedule? Transcript? Photocopy of Student ID?

13. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Nevermind, I just looked it up on their website. What bothers me is it doesn't say anything about graduation. Technically I graduate next month....so am I then invalid for the ADC membership? Does anyone know?

I'll see if I can contact Apple, but someone already has the answer, that'd be awesome.

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Proof of enrollment...linky. An ID likely isn't enough unless it proves that you are enrolled for the current term. A course schedule for the current term or enrollment verification letter is probably the safest method.

I assume that once you clear the initial screening, you're okay for the year's membership, even if you graduate during that time. I don't know if they do another verification when you try to make a purchase under the program...I doubt it. After graduation, you'd have to move up to the ADC Select level ($500/year).

15. Freyqq macrumors 68040

do you have to be a computer science major to do this?

16. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

No. Read the Terms and Conditions.

17. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Is there any workaround for the minimum age of 18 for the student membership? I am enroled in a college course at the moment, so I have that to use for student proof, only problem is my age (15) - I'm 3 years under.

18. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i've gone as far as place an order at that price (by simply going through the ADC store, without a membership of course) when i was just trying to see how far i can go. i cancelled the order for obvious reasons

while i'm sure that's true, i wonder at what point are they gonna cancel my order... or ship my order:p

i dont think you can work around it if you are 3 yrs under... maybe if you are ALMOST, but 3 yr is a bit of a stretch

19. AVID macrumors member

AVID

I've placed an order for a MP recently under student ADC membership. There are three identification process:
    1 - student number given to apple
    2 - email/fax student ID/Driver's license plus enrolment letter from the university, on which will have your commencement and graduate date. (dont know about those who are a few months prior grad.)
    3 - There was a review period after i placed my order (most purchases they just send you an acknowledgement and then quite quickly a confirmation order, but for me there was an acknowledgement with the words "being review", and then the confirmation came a few days later)

So i think there is quite a process involved, unlike the student discount.

20. osx-linux macrumors member

Nope, they won't allow it. Legal reason, you must be 18 years of age for the developer program contract to be legally valid.

ding ding "Even if I'm 17 years 11 months?!"-- yes, even then.

There is no way around this, no exceptions. (well ok, perhaps if you're last name happens to be "Jobs" and you refer some guy as "Uncle Steveo who likes black shirts")

21. osx-linux macrumors member

They want to you be enrolled in classes now. today, the day that you sign up for the program. If you are going to graduate next month, that means you must do it now, and you must be currently enrolled in classes now.

Thats the requirement, you are going to class now. If I call the registrar of your college/univeristy and ask is "joe smith" a with student id number "1312313" currently taking coursework at your college/univeristy, and they answer yes-- then you can join the program.

I do not know what you mean by "technically graduating" but hopefully the above information helps you.

22. osx-linux macrumors member

Shakes magic 8-ball: Please clarify your question.:D

23. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

just out of interest, how much more discount do the ACD students get than regular HE students?

24. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Unfortunately not. The problem is that as an ADC member you can get access to materials under an NDA (non-disclosure agreement), and by becoming an ADC member you agree not to distribute that kind of material. If you are 15, such an agreement would not be legally binding and cannot be made legally binding. As a result, Apple cannot accept ADC members under 18.

25. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Internet research is your friend.

Here in Oz, I can get a 2.33 15" MBP for 3520 with student discount, and 3190 with ADC.