Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have just found out about the ADC. I am just sort of confused about what its about. So if I am a student, I sign up for the ADC for $99, then I can receive around %20 off a new computer? Do they have the Mac Pro that I could purchase through this and if so for about how much?

Now, what are the stipulations on my part. Do I need to do anything along the way of any sort. Or could I just sign up, get the discount and do nothing else after that? Hopefully someone here can fill me in on this. If it is what it sounds like, why don't more people join to get the discount?

If your confused by it, it isn't meant for you. Not to sound rude, but if some one forks over the cash (usually a company) for an ADC membership they know all about it.
The program is a way to help people programming software for the Mac to have at their disposal all they need to create software that works wonderfully on OS X.

If you just need a student discount Apple offers that.

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
I do not know what you mean by "technically graduating" but hopefully the above information helps you.

Some schools graudate in June and as far as I know the regular student discounts are per academic year according to the Apple website, so even though I graduate next month, I could still place an order through the edu store in the summer.

But then again, as someone pointed out they don't use a rigorous check for regular edu purchases.

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
Oh yeah, I also said technically because I'll still be a student next year, hopefully - just not in the states. As soon as I find out where I'm heading to in Europe, I'll enroll again probably only to come back to the U.S. in about a year. So I'm a perpetual student, despite "graduation." That's what I meant.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
What i was trying to get at with the software related information:

They say you can get pre-released software updates, builds of leopard (not with the Student version), and stuff similar to this. Basically what I am trying to ask is, besides the discount on the hardware that I could get with the Student membership what other perks are there? If I am not a programmer or anything of that nature, what else makes signing up for this program worth it.

synth3tik
If your confused by it, it isn't meant for you. Not to sound rude, but if some one forks over the cash (usually a company) for an ADC membership they know all about it.
The program is a way to help people programming software for the Mac to have at their disposal all they need to create software that works wonderfully on OS X.

If you just need a student discount Apple offers that.

If I I knew everything about this program, then obviously I wouldn't be asking the questions here. That is why i asked the questions. I want to find out more, and hopefully find someone who is in the program. Also, I know apple offers education discounts, but if I signed up for this for $99, and bought a Mac Pro, I would still be under $100 cheaper.

Too me it sounds like a lot of people didn't know too much about this program apple offers.

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
it says something about it being a development computer..

for a history major like me..i don't plan on doing much development frankly..

Yeah, but they can't really check. and they say the same about edu purchases, must be used just for school, etc. But that's not always the case.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Yeah, but they can't really check. and they say the same about edu purchases, must be used just for school, etc. But that's not always the case.

true, but the fact that they want your schedule makes me nervous..i mean if I did use this discount it would be pretty obvious I have no idea how to develop =\

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
true, but the fact that they want your schedule makes me nervous..i mean if I did use this discount it would be pretty obvious I have no idea how to develop =\

There's no legal consequences if they reject you.

Submit your app and if they really have a problem admitting you to the program they'll let you know, and that'll be the end of the story. If they accept you, great you save a few bucks.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
There's no legal consequences if they reject you.

Submit your app and if they really have a problem admitting you to the program they'll let you know, and that'll be the end of the story. If they accept you, great you save a few bucks.

would they refund my 100$?

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
Graduation does not matter

I don't think your schedule necessarily has to mean anything. I'm a web designer/developer but I'm studying International Relations and Economics. As long as they approve me I'm happy.

I've actually never had formal Computer Science training and I'm looking to dabble in that next year, but I'm going to do it somewhere else. The ADC discount only saves you $100 compared to Edu discount. It's worth it if you have interest in OS X etc. I personally want to try and make some widgets.

I got a prompt response from Apple and graduation does not matter, so actually I'm going to order ADC this week and get the paperwork done.

Hello ------,

Thank you for contacting the Apple Developer Connection regarding the ADC Student Membership.

Please know that once your ADC Student Membership is activated, the membership will be valid for one year.

For example if the membership begins on the 01/01/07 it will be valid until 01/01/08. Your graduation or change of institution within this time frame would not affect this.

I hope you find this information useful. Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you have any further problems or queries.

Best regards,

Luke ------
Apple Developer Connection
Worldwide Developer Relations

plux79

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2007
Proof of enrollment...linky. An ID likely isn't enough unless it proves that you are enrolled for the current term. A course schedule for the current term or enrollment verification letter is probably the safest method.

I assume that once you clear the initial screening, you're okay for the year's membership, even if you graduate during that time. I don't know if they do another verification when you try to make a purchase under the program...I doubt it. After graduation, you'd have to move up to the ADC Select level ($500/year).

Does the course schedule have to be official?
My courses that I could access online do not have any student information on it. Also, I don't think that any school are allowed to give out student information to third party.

airfang

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Does the course schedule have to be official?
My courses that I could access online do not have any student information on it. Also, I don't think that any school are allowed to give out student information to third party.

go to ur enrollment online system or sth. like that, print out a course schedule for this semester, and that's enough (and that's what I did).

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I don't think your schedule necessarily has to mean anything. I'm a web designer/developer but I'm studying International Relations and Economics. As long as they approve me I'm happy.

I've actually never had formal Computer Science training and I'm looking to dabble in that next year, but I'm going to do it somewhere else. The ADC discount only saves you $100 compared to Edu discount. It's worth it if you have interest in OS X etc. I personally want to try and make some widgets.

I got a prompt response from Apple and graduation does not matter, so actually I'm going to order ADC this week and get the paperwork done.

+ free lepoard i believe

Modjo

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2005
This is for all ADC student members trying to buy a system AND put it on their own or fathers (etc.) company to get a tax refund.

I have my own company with a fellow student. We develop web-related stuff, and some simple cocoa apps. So i tried putting it on the company's name etc.

Apple (Belgium or EMEA) won't do that. Because, in their eyes, an ADC student membership is incompatible with ownership of a company.
However, if it's a one-man company, there's nothing to worry about. The company's assest are your assets.

In any other case, they won't send the invoice to the company address, they won't include the VAT number on any corresponence etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.