Student ADC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xiaoyu04, Nov 1, 2006.

1. xiaoyu04 macrumors member

I signed up for the student ADC so I can get the mailings (and buy that mbp I wanted) and I was wondering how long it takes them to verify your student status? Also, what comes in the mailings?

Thanks

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It often takes only a couple of hours from when you send them your documentation.

3. robcts macrumors regular

Took 1 hr 45 mins to approve me last Friday.

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I ordered it Friday night, faxed everything over Sunday afternoon, and by Monday morning I was verified. Today I went ahead and ordered my MBP. :D Very quick process.

5. xiaoyu04 thread starter macrumors member

do they send you an email or does it show up when you sign in to the site?

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

They sent me an email saying that my package (the intro package) had been sent, which correlated with the verification.

7. danidoll521 macrumors regular

8. xiaoyu04 thread starter macrumors member

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

10. danidoll521 macrumors regular

How much of a discount are we talking about here? Is it worth paying the $99 to get a better discount than the standard education discount provides for?

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Usually 20% off of regular prices for pro machines. So yes, if you're going for an expensive machine, it's worth it. Just keep in mind that you can only get the discount once per lifetime, so make it count.

Edit: You should be able to get into the ADC Student store through the links on this page...some people have been having problems getting in though and it's not clear why.

12. gcdrwhom macrumors member

Yeah, I got the 15" MBP 2.33 GHz for $2000, down from the full $2500 price. Plus you'll probably get a copy of Leopard when it comes out. So it's well worth the $99 ADC membership price.

13. robcts macrumors regular

depends on what you get

i saved around 200-300 off of edu prices.

14. xiaoyu04 thread starter macrumors member

so i sent it in today at 2pm, still no response...does that mean I might have to resend it?

15. coal macrumors regular

coal

On the ADC site it says that it takes up to 24 hours. For me, it took a bit more than 24 hours for the verification (actually about 30 hours from my fax).

Wait a bit!

Also, they're quick to send out your introductory package which includes a t-shirt and a copy of Tiger. I hope that in the springtime Leopard will come along in the mail as well!

16. thenewguy macrumors regular

You can call them, too. I sent my stuff and called 30 minutes later - everything was verified and they were really nice. 3 days later I got my introductory package with Tiger and the developing tools. I can't wait to get leopard! Then I went and bought the new MBP with 160gb HDD for $2079.

17. xiaoyu04 thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i just got approved today :D I'm now itching to make that purchase...

18. wallock, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

wallock macrumors member

19. phuong macrumors 6502a

once per lifetime? that means if i take advantage of it now, and then say, when MP-clovertown comes out, i wont be able to use it even though i renew it?

i thought the term "once per lifetime" refered to "being student just once in our lifetime":eek:

20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can sign up as a student at the $99 yearly rate as many times as you wish. Presumably you could graduate, have a career and a life, but then sign up as a student again 20 years later if you went back to school...if the ADC program continues under its current format. But you still only get one hardware discount under the student program...ever.

For additional hardware discounts, you'd have to move up to the Select ($500/year) level or higher.

21. MGLXP macrumors regular

Do I get this introductory package if I recently joined ADC Select?

22. xiaoyu04 thread starter macrumors member

yes you should, in fact, don't select members get more adc hardware purchases?

23. MGLXP macrumors regular

I think ADC Select allows you to purchase hardware (at ADC discount) once per year rather than once throughout the lifetime of the ADC student account.

24. danidoll521 macrumors regular

If you get a Student ADC and make the once per lifetime purchase, can you later get the ADC Select and make additional discounted purchases?

25. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes.