Student AppleCare after purchase from best buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AKfreeRider, Jun 21, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2010
    Hi everyone,

Was curious if I could purchase STUDENT applecare for a RMBP if I get the computer from a best buy. The only reason I ask is because if I go to the apple online store and attempt to buy applecare, there is no way to activate the student pricing so the total comes to $339 or something. But if you order a RMBP online through the education store, you can select applecare for $239.

My concern is that if I snag a RMBP from best buy (apple stores in seattle aren't getting very many), I will end up spending extra 100 on applecare. Could I buy from bestbuy and then walk it over to the apple store and get the $239 applecare? And no, I do not want the best buy insurance.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. macrumors 65816

Feb 4, 2011
    New York
    I know the Apple store gives you the option to purchase it at the student discount rate within that first year, all you have to do is bring in the purchase receipt with you when coming to buy the AppleCare. But, I'm not sure if this applies to purchases made at their other retailers like Best Buy. I would give an Apple Store a call and see, I'm fairly sure they can price adjust once they see that you are a student from the price match given on the Best Buy receipt.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Feb 5, 2012
    You should be able to. If not, you can get it from B&H for $244.
  4. macrumors 601

Jan 11, 2012
    Pacific Coast, USA
    Yes it's no problem. I always buy AppleCare for each new Mac I buy. It's a very smart purchase. Nothing beats Apple care.
  5. macrumors 68020

Feb 28, 2011
    Yes you can, or you can do it online. In person just bring your student ID
  6. macrumors 6502

Jul 11, 2011
    You can buy AppleCare from where ever you want regardless of where you bought the MacBook itself. What I suggest you do is just get the education discount online and buy it from and have them ship it to you. Mine came overnight, free.
  7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks a lot everyone. And you were right, you CAN buy applecare from the mac online store with the education discount. Pretty bad that I couldn't navigate an apple website well enough to find that. Thanks again guys. This definitely widens my search for a RMBP in the seattle area.