Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandyJS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
I am a student in my Junior year of study in an undergrad program. I was holding off on purchasing my new Macbook Pro until the core 2 duo units came out. I do lots of photo/video/multimedia editing as well as hardcore multitasking. With that said, the new pro's were released on my birthday (october 24) but I have been reluctant to purchase one yet.

My semester is actually coming to an end now, and will start back again in LATE January. With that said, do you think I should again hold out another 1-4 months in hopes of a MAJOR update to the line? I would be buying the 17" macbook pro, so it will be pretty costly, and if there were going to be MORE updates in the near future, I would consider putting off my purchase.

More importantly, I feel that if I purchase now, I may be out on a redesign (which is WAY overdue) in the near future (possibly carbon fiber?). Presuming that I use my University discount for the laptop (or my apple developer discount) I will be paying approx $2300 for the Macbook Pro 17". Do you think if Apple were to release new pro's that I would be out alot of money if I were to sell this one outright and repurchase another one using my edu discount?

I was hoping for a revise/refresh of the macbook pro with the last update, but that did not happen. I put off purchasing one this long until now, and would hope that someone here may be able to help me make the right decision.

I would appreciate any input, whether it be buying decisions, upcoming product "rumors" or speculations. If I would purchase, it would be this week.

Thanks!

Randy

cardiac dave

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
iToronto
I'm wondering the same things... if you can hold off until late January - for any MacWorld announcements... do it. Doubtful there will be any major redesigns, but you might be lucky enough to get a speed bump.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
it is very, and i mean very unlikely that macbook pro will have any update at all in MWSF.. as it was the last mac updated

in 4 months.. the most you'll see on MBP is probably pre-loaded of leopard (which is nothing really)

if you buy now and spend (with student discount) 2599 + tax, then sell it whenever the new one comes out perhaps 2100~2200.. and buy one with ADC( given you havent used it yet) for 2399 + tax... you'd be out 500~600ish?

but who knows when the next one will be out.. the longer it takes, the more you'll lose (but i doubt anything in the next 4 months)

theprizefight

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2006
I'm in the same boat as you (except that I'm a sophomore).

Does anyone know what Apple's return policy is? Since I would be buying a default config, I dont think there would be any restocking fee, right? Im wondering because if they updated it in Jan or Feb would I be able to return it in exchange for the newer one?

Also would this still allow me to use a student developer discount if I decided to buy the first one, return, and buy a second with the discount?

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey

Does anyone know what Apple's return policy is? Since I would be buying a default config, I dont think there would be any restocking fee, right? Im wondering because if they updated it in Jan or Feb would I be able to return it in exchange for the newer one?

Also would this still allow me to use a student developer discount if I decided to buy the first one, return, and buy a second with the discount?

Updated Return/Refund policy (extended due to holiday purchases:
RETURN & REFUND POLICY
If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 14 calendar days of the receipt of the product. For products purchased between October 31, 2006 - December 24, 2006, you may request an RMA by January 8, 2007. Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized product may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless DOA. If the item is returned unopened in the original box, we will exchange it or offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. The product must be returned to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product. A 10% open box fee will be assessed on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Business Lease, you may be asked to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) for Apple to assess the 10% open box restocking fee.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006

LOL YOU WISH

okay... sorry, but you are asking for too much

apple's return policy allows you to return an unopened, stock configuration machine, within 14 days of purchase or delivery, without restocking fee

if the machine is opened and it is stock configuration, there is a 10 or 15 percent restocking fee, within 14 days still

if the machine is opened and it's CTO, you may not return it, period

if the machine is not opened and its CTO... you are in gray zone.. or im in gray zone

SADC membership wise, it's discount on one order of one system per life time. even if you returned it, you cannot use it again.

so you want to buy a machine using ADC discount now, and return it 3 months later without restocking fee, AND use the adc discount again?

gosh.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Right now I'd wait for MWSF, even though I don't expect new MBPs to be released then.

A lot of people are waiting to buy until "something new" is released. You can do this, but unless you know what you're waiting for I feel this is nonsense. Whenever you buy, there will be something new in a relatively short time.

The only solution to this is to decide if the current offering meets your requirements and/or expectations. If it does, by all means buy and be happy with what you've got.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I will wait, for the 13" MBP...

Not that I will buy it though since I've already committed to a 15", but just excited to see what they have in store. I doubt they will have anything for the 15" and 17" this coming MWSF apart from iLife '07.

RandyJS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Thanks for your replies, I do not anticipate any major changes in the macbook pro this coming January, so I think I may just go ahead and "treat" myself to an early XMAS present...

With that said, I have another thing I am pondering instead of buying the macbook pro 17"... Would I be better off just getting a macbook and an iMac for school/home use? To my knowledge, I would be able to get the power of the macbook pro in a similarly configured iMac, and then also be able to purchase a portable for about the same money I would be spending on a macbook pro 17" --- of course, the macbooks do not have all the same features as the pro, like the backlit keyboard, the 17" screen, the alumnium etc... I do like the aluminum feel, but am wondering if I would be able to adjust to the macbook keyboard, screen size, and "plastic" as well...

This is a hard decision.....

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild

Ridiculous sense of entitlement. Why not try running a business like that and see how far that will get you?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
TAAAAAATAAAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAJAAA!
HAAAAASAAAAAOAAAAAAADATAAIAAA!
EAAAAUAAAAAAATAAAAAPAAAAEAAAA!
YAAAJAAAAAAAAAAAAAUAAAAAADAAA!

SO GET 1 :D

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Thanks for your replies, I do not anticipate any major changes in the macbook pro this coming January, so I think I may just go ahead and "treat" myself to an early XMAS present...

With that said, I have another thing I am pondering instead of buying the macbook pro 17"... Would I be better off just getting a macbook and an iMac for school/home use? To my knowledge, I would be able to get the power of the macbook pro in a similarly configured iMac, and then also be able to purchase a portable for about the same money I would be spending on a macbook pro 17" --- of course, the macbooks do not have all the same features as the pro, like the backlit keyboard, the 17" screen, the alumnium etc... I do like the aluminum feel, but am wondering if I would be able to adjust to the macbook keyboard, screen size, and "plastic" as well...

This is a hard decision.....

Honestly that's a hard decision, but a much better ? than your original post. As far as holding out, case redesigns, carbon fiber and all that, I say get what is out now. If you try and future proof too much you end up not buying at all and that's just ridiculous.

I think the idea of a 20" or 24" iMac along with a MacBook is a great idea as far as the power of the iMac, etc. Then you have a smaller, more affordable laptop and while less powerful it will suit your mobile needs just fine. Not to mention that unless you have to I'm not a fan of doing everything on a 17" screen, or hooking up tons of external stuff. And it's big and heavy, relatively. That said, the only situation you get into with the two machine scenario is syncing things like favorites, mail, etc. .Mac makes it real easy to do that. You also may not feel that you need to. But it is just a little more work to keep two machines but essentially 1 user identity.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Right now I'd wait for MWSF, even though I don't expect new MBPs to be released then.

A lot of people are waiting to buy until "something new" is released. You can do this, but unless you know what you're waiting for I feel this is nonsense. Whenever you buy, there will be something new in a relatively short time.

The only solution to this is to decide if the current offering meets your requirements and/or expectations. If it does, by all means buy and be happy with what you've got.

True. Most of my friends who currently own Macs tell me to hold out as long as possible because something new will come out but I'll be satisfied with the current configurations for the MB. Plus they have a free printer promo so I'm tempted to order a MB in one week.

RandyJS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
-- I am looking right now and amazon.com has the 17" iMac for $825 after rebate, which is cheaper than both the apple edu and developer price! Plus I have $650 worth of amazon.com gift certificates.... It is tempting, considering that I can get a Macbook and a desktop iMac for less than a 17" macbook pro...... I am so undecisive right now. UGHH!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
First of all, which 17", the one w/o remote that has the same integrated graphics as the mini and macbook and only 512MB ram, and a combo-drive. You don't want that thing.

Second, get either a 20 or 24. Look at the Apple refurbs, but forget about the 17.

briansolomon

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
We are both in the same boat!

I am waiting for the new iLife and Leopard. That'll save you $200 alone you just to wait until January. Besides that who knows what else might debut that you will be interested.

Peace
Brian

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I'm waiting. I don't like the current MBP's keyboard or screen and I don't feel it's very good value for money. The MacBook's recent redesign has done it wonders and if it wern't for the integrated graphics I'd have considered one of those instead. I guess the time for my first Mac laptop just hasn't arrived yet :D

bonehead

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2002
Lost Angeles
How much is your current machine holding you back? Can you really not do the work you need to do with your current machine?

I'd wait, but that's me.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Aren't there 2 17" configs?

yes, that's why I asked which. because the cheaper one is really not worth it. But I still think the screen is too small. If you're going to have a desktop (iMac) and a Macbook instead of a 17" MBP, the desktop should be a bigger screen, otherwise just get the MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.